From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Morning NI - I'm here..

The verse in my signature is my answer to any manager asking when something will be completed.

<EDIT> The quote from Alice fits the same situatuion, too. 😄 </EDIT>

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 491 of 497
(8,268 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

I thought it was pretty amusing as an engineer that the bible would be so specific about weights/measures and using calibrated instruments.

It's also not the only one I found...

Actually, those are not about engineering, but about social justice (either "don't cheat others" or "don't discriminate" or "judge/rule fairly"). I can't think of any engineering specific commandments (beyond the "don't cheat others" ones), but there is some engineering in there, such as in the construction of the tabernacle or the temple, which are quite detailed with very precise measurements and details. As I'm sure you know, technical drawings as text do not necessarily make the most interesting reading material. Maybe there should have a been a "thou shall not mix Babylonian with metric" thrown somewhere in there.

Actually, I just remembered a really good joke on that, which will probably not translate well, and it depends on delivery as well, but I'll try anyway.

A man comes to the rabbi and says "Rabbi, I want to build a house and I know you can find anything in the Talmud. Please tell me where to find it". The rabbi says "look, just hire a contractor and let him do his job". The man keeps insisting, so the rabbi eventually says, "OK, go to book X, page 34b and study the topic there. That will give you what you need". The man goes away happy, and comes back six months later - "Rabbi, I don't know if you remember me, but I asked you for advice on building a house". The rabbi replies "Oh, right. I sent you to book X, page 34b, yes? Is everything alright?". The man says "Yes, I followed your advice and built a beautiful house, but when I opened the front door, the whole thing collapsed!". The rabbi thinks for a second and then replies "Oy, I forgot to tell you. It's very important that that you read the second Tosfot on the page".

(8,240 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 494 of 497
(8,235 Views)

@tst wrote:

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

I thought it was pretty amusing as an engineer that the bible would be so specific about weights/measures and using calibrated instruments.

Actually, those are not about engineering, but about social justice (either "don't cheat others" or "don't discriminate" or "judge/rule fairly"). I can't think of any engineering specific commandments (beyond the "don't cheat others" ones), but there is some engineering in there, such as in the construction of the tabernacle or the temple, which are quite detailed with very precise measurements and details. As I'm sure you know, technical drawings as text do not necessarily make the most interesting reading material. Maybe there should have a been a "thou shall not mix Babylonian with metric" thrown somewhere in there.

See also Gen 6:1-16 for some "Dry Reading" of fairly sound engineering plans.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 495 of 497
(8,211 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@tst wrote:

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

See also Gen 6:1-16 for some "Dry Reading" of fairly sound engineering plans.

And they are supposedly being followed right now.  Due to open in July about an hour from me: Ark Encounter

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 496 of 497
(8,198 Views)

The guy that got the job to build the Ark of the Covenant was the closest to an engineer that I can recall but he was more a talented technician. All of the engineering work seemed to have been taken care of aheaad of time.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 497 of 497
(8,173 Views)