From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Morning NI - I'm here..

I contribute ideas to G-Wiz.com for the various commic strips.

The main character is named "G-Wiz" and is an expert in LV and always has the right answer.

Recently I sumbitted another one but it is much too geeky for mos taudiences but I hope Y'all will enjoy it. The strip was inspired by an example from the LV performance class where parallel loops was being discussed as illustrated in this image.

Commutative.png

The Strip:

Frame 1

G-Wiz is in a heated discussion with the instructor.

Instructor" How the h@#$ is possible that loop can be run in parallel?"

Frame 2

G-Wiz is seen walking away with a big grin on his face and the boss asks

Boss: Why are you so happy?

G-Wiz: I just toook care of one of the items on my Bucket List!"

Frame 3

Boss: "Oh, what was that?"

Frame 4

G-Wiz: "I answered a question using the phrase "addition is commutative' "

I hope you enjoyed it.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 481 of 497
(10,872 Views)

Can you attach the VI? Thanks.

(Hey, I still like my LabTOONS better. :D)

0 Kudos
Message 482 of 497
(10,835 Views)

Your LabTOONS were better WHEN YOU WERE WRITTING THEM !

That VI is part fo the course material so no can share but you can write it yourself I bet. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 483 of 497
(10,829 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Soooo... not so much of a math wimp?

@tst wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Soooo... not so much of a math wimp?

Considering the audience here, still a wimp. But to twist this in a LV way...

Look at the wonderful job NI developers did when they made that loop parallel-izable. The SR and addition operation have to be handled as a clump that is accessing the the SR value as if it is a DVR so that the rest of the logic can run in parallel but avoid race conditions between the instances of the loop.

Clever work!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 485 of 497
(10,764 Views)

@Ben wrote:
Look at the wonderful job NI developers did when they made that loop parallel-izable. The SR and addition operation have to be handled as a clump that is accessing the the SR value as if it is a DVR so that the rest of the logic can run in parallel but avoid race conditions between the instances of the loop.

A plain matrix multiplication from the linear algebra palette is still quite a bit faster for some reason, but does the same thing. To go parallel you would then use the same function from the multicore and sparse matrix toolkit. 😉

I would need to do some benchmarking, but replacing the inner loop with a plain array multiply followed y "add array elements", might be better able to take advantage of SSE. Not sure.... Maybe the compiler already does that behind the scenes.

0 Kudos
Message 486 of 497
(10,743 Views)

Geek humor.......

Two antenna met on a roof and fell madly in love and decided to get married.  The wedding was all right, but the reception was excellent!!

Amateur programmer for over 10 years!
Message 487 of 497
(10,725 Views)

Hello, Monday.

Monday.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 488 of 497
(10,305 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 489 of 497
(10,302 Views)

I can't even remember why/where it was brought to my attention, but I found some interesting bible verses last week:

"You shall do no wrong in judgment, in measurement of weight, or capacity. You shall have just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin; I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from the land of Egypt" - Leviticus 19:35-36

I thought it was pretty amusing as an engineer that the bible would be so specific about weights/measures and using calibrated instruments. If you work in calibration/measurement it looks like you are doing God's work!

It's also not the only one I found...

"Do not have two differing weights in your bag--one heavy, one light." - Deuteronomy 25:13

"The LORD detests dishonest scales, but accurate weights find favor with him." - Proverbs 11:1

"You are to use accurate scales, an accurate ephah and an accurate bath." - Ezekiel 45:10

(Disclaimer: I am not religious - I know that bringing up the subject of religion can sometimes be a source of controversy, but I did find this interesting/amusing - it's not meant to offend)

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 490 of 497
(10,284 Views)