BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold-Ruberg Thread

So, after about 30 minutes of searching vi.lib today...

I face-palmed myself! And said.... "J, if you are ever going to find that dialog.vi that pops up whenever you hit that silly icon on a Timestamp control that lets you select a date and time, why don't you just search on the Forums?"

About a minute later... oh, <LabVIEW>\resources\dialogs\picktime.vi!  And another face-palm

Sometimes I forget that I am not the only way to get a solution to a question.  😄

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1 of 7
(5,395 Views)

My turn!

I have a monster test station that came in with some less than complete schematics and nobody from the customer can tell me anything about it, "just make it work".

SO spent half of the day inside the cabinet making sense of what I could but was perplexed by the schematic that showed a 90A 3 phase breaker. I figured it had to be obvious with rating like that. I event metered across where it should be according to the schematic and it looked like it was there.

Then I stepped back away, closed the cabinet doors and between the wall of the lab and the equipment cabinet I found the big honking 90A 3 phase breaker mounted on the side of the cabinet.

I felt stupid!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 7
(5,306 Views)

Wow!  I'll have to bookmark this site -- I don't think I ever encountered this handy Dialog before!  What other gems lurk here?  [The answer is not "The Shadow knows ..."]

BS

Message 3 of 7
(5,234 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Wow!  I'll have to bookmark this site -- I don't think I ever encountered this handy Dialog before!  What other gems lurk here?  [The answer is not "The Shadow knows ..."]

BS

These gems are NOT Available with the Hidden Gems Toolkit .... yet.  I assume that the producer of that toolkit is hitting control +Space rather sharply on his keyboard 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,225 Views)

Spent an hour trying to figure out what went wrong with my program, was my control "insane", was LabVIEW corrupted, should I empty the object cache, ...

I was trying to resize the column widths when the size of a table was changed. I had code for another table that worked fine, but it wasn't working for this table. The code for the other table showed this

Code that workedCode that worked

The code for the table that did not work showed this

This did not workThis did not work

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the second snippet, until I opened it up again and saw this

Wrong widthWrong width

instead of this

Correct widthCorrect width

NI needs to add prefixes to names that are the same.

mcduff

Message 5 of 7
(4,925 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

About a minute later... oh, <LabVIEW>\resources\dialogs\picktime.vi!  And another face-palm

Years ago, I needed the date-time picker, but the help button had to be disabled. IIRC, back then, the dialog was PW protected (or I just didn't feel like copying the VI*).

VI Server to the rescue!

* As it is, it won't pass my coding standards:

Spoiler
Pick Time.PNG
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,862 Views)

right click show long names.

Now you know "xxx.width"  it helps to know which width is whitch.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,776 Views)