BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny threads

You started writing sw in 1970??  You mean there were computers back then???  😉

I remember the TRS-80.  Basic.  First toy I had ever seen.  Well appart from PONG (the first video game).

Okay...  so you're probably older than tst, then...  or should we speculate the age of that lovely lady in the background of the picture that was posted by the "Shaddow"???  no to say that it was actually a picture of tst & her bf..

😄 😄 😄

Message 31 of 537
(21,467 Views)
Yeah, They were at least 12 foot tall, usually came with 60 other 12 foot tall rack all doing the individual functions of the computer process and required an equally sized room somewhere near by to provide the power.

Programming, well that was some thing else.......

RaySmiley Very Happy
Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 32 of 537
(21,475 Views)

Yes it was a wonderful time of learning about micro chips in large scale before they were invented.

It gave you chance to peak inside all of those busses that only existin in images and micro etched wafers. You could watch dat being moved from register to register and actual see data being serached for on tape. Booting a computer was rare onless core had to be replaced. Crash Dump Analysis was an art form and programs never filled all the 1M of memory the mainframes offered. Disk drives looked like washing machines and head crash had nothing to with user frustration. Most computer failures could be fixed with a hand full of chips, schematics and an O'scope.

That reminds me I was supposed to bring a FP of a PDP 11/70 to illustrate the machine Unix was originally developed on. And in case you wondered it is the switch version of the FP.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 33 of 537
(21,470 Views)

Hi Ben,

I missed that era.  But the mainframes we worked on also had the washing machine-style mass-storage units.  That was when the name IBM had a serious meaning.  I did play with punch-cards a bit.. for 1 year.. Fortran & JCL.  I got hooked on APL and kept logged onto a terminal.  As a matter of fact, some of the original color terminals.  APL had color features and not-so-friendly graphics capabilities.  Then came C and the PC. 

I did play a tiny little bit on a PDP-11 and some other machine running CPM (DOS predecessor?).  Programming was done in PLM/PL1.  Wrote an OS for a homemade 8085 PC.  I should have gone to market with it..  Didn't realize that the OS market would become so lucrative 😉

Ben... you need to write more often in the Breakpoint.  I must let you beat my Yapping Average...  I think CC filters out his Yapping average. 😉 

Message 34 of 537
(21,472 Views)
This thread must be refering to some of the new palletes in LV 8, because I can't seem to be able to find them.

maybe its an Add-on
Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 36 of 537
(21,402 Views)

How can we not include this in the Funny Thread list?  It's hysterical!

Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
Message 37 of 537
(21,370 Views)

You're right, Molly.

So right, in fact, that I've decided it's time for drastic action, so I stole borrowed Christian's time machine, went a few days back in time and replaced the boring winning lottery numbers for next week that were in reply #35 with a link to that thread.

wow - you caught me in a hurry - not doing my homework 😞

love the time machine though! thanks!

Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 537
(21,358 Views)
Here's another funny (sub)thread 😄

Message Edited by altenbach on 11-01-2005 09:17 AM

Message 40 of 537
(21,345 Views)