BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash on Apple Devices

I recently tried to view something on my iPod touch that required flash. When I tried installing I got the following message:

“ADOBE FLASH PLAYER – Flash Play not available for your device, Apple restricts use of technologies required by products like Flash Player. Until Apple eliminates these restrictions Adobe cannot provide Flash Player for the iPhone or iPod Touch.”

After doing a little research, I realized there was quite a large dispute between Adobe and Apple about Flash's ability to make programs cross-platform instead of exclusively for Apple devices. 

Can anyone further explain what the issue is between the two companies?

I am just curious, I didn't get a good explanation from the article I read.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(13,411 Views)

I found this http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/  Did not read it. 

All I know is that my phone doesn't have flash and it's only an issue a few times a month, if that

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2 of 10
(13,401 Views)

Yeah, it doesn't really give me a hard time often, I was just curious what was going on between the two companies.

Haha that was the most systematic way I have seen someone trash talk another company.

Thanks for the link, that answered my question.

PS. Go Yankees!! Smiley Wink

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(13,396 Views)

@cory K wrote:

Hey, with the way the Tigers are looking these days a season split with the Yankees wouldn't be so bad.  I'd like to think they could not lose the next two, and end up winning the series. 

I wish the season ended before the all star break when they were doing alright.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(13,392 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

@cory K wrote:

Hey, with the way the Tigers are looking these days a season split with the Yankees wouldn't be so bad.  I'd like to think they could not lose the next two, and end up winning the series. 

I wish the season ended before the all star break when they were doing alright.

I wouldn't be suprised. The Yankees have split the last 3 consecutive series (including one with Boston Smiley Mad ), and how the Tigers are playing, it looks like we're going for 4

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(13,384 Views)

Living near Silicon Valley, this plays like a bad soap opera around here.  Despite all of the tech-talk (open this, proprietary that, power, blah blah), Steve Jobs is notorious for holding grudges and is still cheesed off that Adobe stopped supporting Macs for a while.  Apple was dominating the Graphics Arts world with Adobe as a strong sidekick.  When Apple fell on tough times Adobe shifted to all-PC versions for a while.  Even the recent resurgence of Apple computers and the return of Adobe products hasn't helped Jobs get over it. 

Having been driven from Mac to PC by a certain company deciding to sell hardware and software for only one platform (not Mac), I can see how software companies can get under the skin of the computer makers.

That said, once I figured out how to avoid the flash-based editor on the forums, I haven't really missed Flash.  What Apple managed to do to my older iPhone with the new OS is a different matter....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(13,369 Views)

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black haha.

Steve Jobs said Adobe:

1) was not open source

2) not as cross-platform as they claim

3) drains battery too fast

.... among other things.

Just to play devil's advocate.

1) Apple makes a point to make apps, programs, etc that can be run exclusively on Apple. They make a point of making it impossible for third party programmers to get in on the apple market without going through apple first. This is logical from a business point of view, but they why yell at Adobe for doing it?

2) See point 1 Smiley Tongue 

3) Mac laptops have notoriously short battery lives, and just to make it worse, if your battery completely dies, you can't even change it yourself!!!
You have to bring it in somewhere to replace the (over-priced) battery, which will probably crap out soon anyway.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(13,360 Views)

Having been driven from Mac to PC by a certain company deciding to sell hardware and software for only one platform (not Mac), I can see how software companies can get under the skin of the computer makers.

Are the initials of the company in question N.I.? Smiley Tongue

I just gave my 10 year old daughter an iPod Touch for her birthday. We have no other Apple products in our house.  The first question she asked was 'Where is the web browser?'. I explained that Apple uses Safari. She started the browser and proceeded directly to her favorite site, www.poptropica.com. She saw the same 'Flash is not supported' message. Then she tried several other favorites and was greeted with the same message.

From what I've read, Flash is CPU intensive AND inefficient (gobbles up RAM like pac-man). These are things that can be fixed by improving Flash, but right now Apple seems to be pressing heavily into mobility and dedicated apps. Mobile devices impose physical size and communications speed limits that make a fat, hungry application a poor choice.

If Apple wants to preserve the experience it's users expect, I think it's fine that they limit what is supported. If people are put off enough by the lack of Flash, they can select a platform that DOES support it. LabVIEW doesn't run on my iPod either, but that's OK.

Considering the number of vulnerabilities and documented attacks recently made using Adobe Flash and Acrobat, I don't blame Apple for refusing to allow a fat, hungry, trojan/virus prone app from running on a battery powered, resource limited personal device that has the ability to track my movements and is often used to store information about family, friends and finances...

By the way, I don't work for Apple, or have much of an interest in their products.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 8 of 10
(13,357 Views)

@Phillip Brooks wrote:

Are the initials of the company in question N.I.? Smiley Tongue

Glad I was not too subtle.  My next hint would be it starts with an 'N' and ends with an 'ational Instruments'.

Flash is based on the text language Actionscript.  It is very powerful and you can do some very interesting things with it.

Sometimes 'dummies' prefer a graphical interface, so Adobe sells a Flash Development IDE which can be used to graphically create animations based on Actionscript.  When you want, you can still make calls to the text language as well.  Sometimes the ease in which things can be done with Flash makes it easy for users to create inefficient apps which are both memory and CPU hogs.  Nonetheless, in the hands of experienced users, the Graphical interface can be used to easily create stunning effects.  One big pain is that the relatively small .swf file requires a good-sized run-time engine, which often needs to be installed or updated...

My personal feeling is that there are very good reasons not to support Flash on the iPhone, Flash-free surfing is not so bad.  There are also very good reasons to support it, mainly it is so ubiquitous.  None of that matters, it is a personal grudge and Jobs thinks it is payback time.  All of the other talk, despite the validity in certain cases, are just excuses.

After Apples latest two-prong attack, bad hardware for new phones (antenna), bad software (OS4) for old phones, the Droid is looking better and better....

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(13,348 Views)

I did some more research last night and discovered that the security and privacy issues are related to "Local Shared Objects". They are also known as Flash cookies, but reside outside of the scope of your browser's configuration.

Wikipedia entry for Local Shared Objects

It appears that many sites that don't event present a useful Flash component use these as a cache or to 'enhance' our experience. The default cache size is 100k, certainly enough to store a trojan or other executable code. I've cleaned out and changed my default Flash settings using instructions found here.

These cookies seem to be getting alot of press, and I suspect that Adobe is going to be soon getting the sort of privacy attention that was given to Facebook.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(13,317 Views)