From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite sci-fi books?

(... but sometimes you can't see the dork forest for all the geeks.) 😄

Message 31 of 70
(11,679 Views)

Fantasy (unless magic counts as sci-fi?): At the moment in book 7 (of ~20) of Terry Goodkind.

Worlds_of_The_Golden_Queen got me reading again, a few years ago. Guess that is Sci-fi. Very good.

Message 32 of 70
(11,540 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Well, it all depends on YOUR point of view.

A. C. Clark, R. Asimov, R.A.H, Orsen Scott Card, et. al.  

I have a love-hate relationship with Orson Scott Card.  I loved the first 4 books of the Ender series... but I thought all of the Bean books were complete garbage.

Also, if any of you have children, I absolutely loved these books growing up.  They are the books that got me into sci-fi / fantasy in the first place.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 70
(11,513 Views)

I just finished "The Three-Body problem". I liked it 🙂 Now i will pick another book from the many suggested ones 🙂

edit: ah, there is the second book, The Dark Forest. So i continue with this 🙂 Now i have a few days holiday to read a bit more, just after attending NIDays Budapest. Claimed the 10 recertification points, and i just got the +3 years for my CLD 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 70
(11,493 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

I just finished "The Three-Body problem". I liked it 🙂 Now i will pick another book from the many suggested ones 🙂

edit: ah, there is the second book, The Dark Forest. So i continue with this 🙂 Now i have a few days holiday to read a bit more, just after attending NIDays Budapest. Claimed the 10 recertification points, and i just got the +3 years for my CLD 🙂 

With all that time on your hands you could spend it reading the context help for graph properties

(Sorry I, couldn't resist) Smiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 35 of 70
(11,482 Views)

Indeed! 😂

Message 36 of 70
(11,479 Views)

i found that fascinating

p.s.: 3rd book is also out already "Death's End" (in english translation)

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Message 37 of 70
(11,431 Views)

I just got this book: https://www.kameronhurley.com/writing/the-stars-are-legion/

Later I will give feedback whether it is good...

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 70
(11,317 Views)

The unincorporated man.

The best I've read in a long time.  Its got a few sequels as well that I haven't read yet, but I'm saving those for a time when I have a good long vacation.

S G
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
Message 39 of 70
(11,272 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

I just got this book: https://www.kameronhurley.com/writing/the-stars-are-legion/

Later I will give feedback whether it is good...

I almost finished the book. I like it! But you need a strong stomach, it is a kind of "bio-scifi" 🙂 Like a book version of a H. R. Giger art...

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 70
(11,206 Views)