From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English lesson

I'm WaAaAaAay back in time, around 2012.... Smiley Embarassed

Seriously, I have never noticed that behaviour and I curse LabVIEW on a daily basis because it doesn't do this for me.

Perhaps it's an environment setting?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(10,079 Views)

Intaris a écrit :

Again, is this a new LabVIEW feature? The reason I'm asking is because I've never noticed this behaviour before.

Irrespective of language, references to existing behaviour are always going to be laden with misunderstanding if you pass the message on to groups of people both with and without the knowledge of that behaviour.  Those without knowledge of the behaviour will not understand the context of your message even if the language is technically perfect.  Therefore if it is a new feature, you need to mention that so that you don't completely confuse those without prior knowledge.

The fact that the Polymorphic VI Selector would act the same as a label or a caption of a terminal would be new.

But labels and captions have "always" be attracted by their terminals. "Always" = as long as I can remember.

1. Put a terminal on the front panel.
  2. Move its label and show what happen when it approches the terminal.
  3. Now put a polymorphic VI on the diagram (eg from DAQmx library). If needed, make the VI selector visible.
  4. Move the selector and compare.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(10,069 Views)

well it depends on a few things :

- your front panel - grid settings (LabVIEW options)

- your block diagram - gris settings (LabVIEW options)

- your grid size in editor option in the  (VI properties)

Clipboard01.png

hope this helps 😮

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(10,073 Views)

Unless I'm wrong, these settings don't have the least influence on how a label or a caption is attracted by its terminal.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(10,071 Views)

OK, the missing information is moving WITH THE MOUSE.

I have become so accustomed to placing the labels and captions with the arrow keys, I haven't actually moved a label like this for years.

OK, now I understand the behaviour you are referring to.

Message 15 of 23
(10,068 Views)

They control how objects snap to grid, not how label snap to their owning object or even to the grid... So you're right...(ooops)

I thought it would work for labels to snap to the grid because when grid alignment is enabled on the block diagram, the polymorphic terminal does snap to the grid. Not to the VI icon though.

Sorry for this confusion.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(10,062 Views)

Intaris a écrit :

OK, the missing information is moving WITH THE MOUSE.

I have become so accustomed to placing the labels and captions with the arrow keys, I haven't actually moved a label like this for years.

OK, now I understand the behaviour you are referring to.

So we can now come back to the initial question : how to put this idea in a comprehensible English with the appropriate terms for this "magnet effect" ?

TiTou's revision will be a very good starting point.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(10,063 Views)

Finally, we have all learned something through this question.

I had really not imagined that it would create such an exchange.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(10,055 Views)

Here's my suggestion:

Subject: Polymorphic selector terminals should snap to VI icon when dragging

When dragging a control / indicator label or caption, if you move within a certain distance from the owning terminal the label will snap to one of a set of given positions (top-left, top-middle etc).  Outside this distance (or if the user presses the spacebar to toggle this behaviour), the label can be freely positioned.

The selector terminal for a polymorphic VI should display the same behaviour with regard to the owning VI icon.  A polymorphic selector is currently always free-floating.

Message 19 of 23
(10,057 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

Here's my suggestion

So post it in the idea exchange already so I can give it a kudo.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(10,042 Views)