From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor properties: too much micromanagement!

So I was polishing up some old code. One of the graphs has about nine vertical cursors to indicate certain important positions. They are set by the program and not allowed to be moved by the user. For code simplicity,  wanted to change the property nodes for the cursor from cursor.position.X to cursor.index. Of course none of the cursors showed up because they were "free dragging" instead of "locked to a plot". (Cursor.index only works for locked cursors. We all know that).

Simple to change, right?

Whoever designed that properties panel had way to much fun micromanaging what is allowed or not at any given moment. I guess it was randomly decided that if a cursor does not have "allow dragging" enabled, nobody should be able to change between "free dragging" and "single-plot". Why???? But that's exactly what I need to do now!

Workaround is simple: (1) allow dragging, (2) change to single-plot, (3) disable dragging again? (wash-rinse-repeat for all the other 8 cursors 😞 3x more work for each!)

(similar: Why can't we still change the caption in the properties dialog unless it it set to "visible"???)

altenbach_0-1597818813337.png

Message 1 of 7
(3,515 Views)

You missed the link to the idea 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2 of 7
(3,436 Views)

Is there an idea? I really searched.....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,424 Views)

No, not until you file it 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 4 of 7
(3,414 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

So I was polishing up some old code. One of the graphs has about nine vertical cursors to indicate certain important positions. They are set by the program and not allowed to be moved by the user. For code simplicity,  wanted to change the property nodes for the cursor from cursor.position.X to cursor.index. Of course none of the cursors showed up because they were "free dragging" instead of "locked to a plot". (Cursor.index only works for locked cursors. We all know that).

Simple to change, right?

Whoever designed that properties panel had way to much fun micromanaging what is allowed or not at any given moment. I guess it was randomly decided that if a cursor does not have "allow dragging" enabled, nobody should be able to change between "free dragging" and "single-plot". Why???? But that's exactly what I need to do now!

Workaround is simple: (1) allow dragging, (2) change to single-plot, (3) disable dragging again? (wash-rinse-repeat for all the other 8 cursors 😞 3x more work for each!)

(similar: Why can't we still change the caption in the properties dialog unless it it set to "visible"???)

altenbach_0-1597818813337.png

Oh just use a Diagram disable Structure to swap between "set graph properties " and "run MyCode"

It even keeps all the property values you set on the normally disabled sub Diagram. I'm sure you will make the logical leap to saving a custom control template for editing a superhero custom probe.  Often works even better than the control property editor [e.g. multi section bars on enums, %06x display of color constant enumerations combo box editing with display style....]  those things the property editor just never did well but are really valid settings. 

When you get really upset about it use a tab control on a custom probe vi to build a unique control property editor for a new strict type def then simply replace the control and disconnect. Simple enough for anyone with 20+ years of experience to code up on a postage stamp!  HINT: it is a very good use for ignore errors inside property node and an error dialog in the custom probe vi / custom dialog (to avoid some very odd behaviors)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,135 Views)

@JÞB wrote:
Oh just use a Diagram disable Structure to swap between "set graph properties " and "run MyCode"

It even keeps all the property values you set on the normally disabled sub Diagram. I'm sure you will make the logical leap to saving a custom control template for editing a superhero custom probe.  Often works even better than the control property editor [e.g. multi section bars on enums, %06x display of color constant enumerations combo box editing with display style....]  those things the property editor just never did well but are really valid settings. 

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea how your "answer" relates to my topic in any shape or form.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,130 Views)

The property editor dialog is limited.  Sometimes its easier to roll out a special control property editor (via a custom probe.vi) than live with the standard dialog popup limitations  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 7 of 7
(3,127 Views)