From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carnac the Magnificient - sarcastic answers to serious questions/comments

@JÞB wrote:

@Ben wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Ben wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

Somebody asking why they have to calculate the checksum for a message.  They don't think they need to because "the device that i am sending these commands to already has a checksum calculation in it".

My thought: Because anybody with ANY knowledge in communications knows that you have to follow the protocol.

Being my normal oppositional self...

I have written it off as an artifact of when the communications were using a serial interface when I discover a message protocol that uses Ethernet and includes a checksum. Ethernet packets have a checksum built in and if the checksum fails the packets are never passed up the protocol stack.

That can turn out to be convenient, for instance when the protocol supports multiple physical layers. Like TCP\IP and serial... Just change the visa recourse, and done.

But then we have the classic...

If a packet is corrupted but never delivered, can it ever fail the check-sum?

Ben

I'm certain that I addressed that specific case earlier... did you get that response?

Now, who is going to link this reply to the sarcastic answers thread.  😄

I dismissed that, the CRC wasn't valid.

Message 211 of 298
(5,090 Views)

Ben

Looks like a mashup of two thought experiments:

"If a tree falls in a forest" versus "Schrödinger's Checksum"

Message 212 of 298
(5,081 Views)

@alexderjuengere wrote:

Ben

Looks like a mashup of two thought experiments:

"If a tree falls in a forest" versus "Schrödinger's Checksum"

If a tree has a fifty percent chance of falling in a forest and there is a cat that would undoubtedly be killed by the tree falling and nobody is around to hear... did the cat sceam louder than the falling tree (if it fell)

Oh, yeah, I think that the tree both fell and didn't... can anybody check my logic there?

No cats were harmed in the writing of this post... besides, it's got 8 or 9 lives left, depending upon previous chance 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 213 of 298
(5,065 Views)

Ok, this one is below the belt, I know... Very personal (but then most of these posts are).

This one is compatible (?) with LabVIEW.

Or LabView? Or Lab-View? Or labview? Keep trying, almost right...

0 Kudos
Message 214 of 298
(4,987 Views)

Yeah I used to correct people on the forums, especially when they would do something like tout how they've been using "the labview" for 10 years and know better than any of us.  If you claim you've been learning Spanish for 10 years, you should at least know how to spell "Spanish".

0 Kudos
Message 215 of 298
(4,977 Views)

I think maybe there's an exception for French speaking people. I often see them use "Labview". That could be a language thing, where it is just not done in the French language. Not that it is normal in Dutch (nor English), but I've seen French people do that more then others.

Apart from not spelling it correctly the inconsistency in spelling it weirds me out. For a post like that, where you (should) care about first impressions, I'd let at least one (thorough) person read it.

Also, when posting, the autocorrection seem to correct most LabVIEW misspells. Or is that just my tweaking of the browser?

0 Kudos
Message 216 of 298
(4,968 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Also, when posting, the autocorrection seem to correct most LabVIEW misspells. Or is that just my tweaking of the browser?

When I first got my phone I noticed it wasn't capitalizing LabVIEW properly so I would have to manually capitalize it right.  After doing this a few times it started to suggest the proper way.  Not sure if your browser has similar learning autocomplete-ness.

0 Kudos
Message 217 of 298
(4,958 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

When I first got my phone I noticed it wasn't capitalizing LabVIEW properly so I would have to manually capitalize it right.  After doing this a few times it started to suggest the proper way.  Not sure if your browser has similar learning autocomplete-ness.

Probably what I did. I don't expect LabVIEW to be in the dictionary. 

This could be a nice forum auto-moderation feature. Like how it auto-moderates S**t Register. But then we'd lose a way to separate the wheat from the chaff...

Message 218 of 298
(4,934 Views)

wiebe@CARYA

This could be a nice forum auto-moderation feature. Like how it auto-moderates S**t Register. But then we'd lose a way to separate the wheat from the chaff...

Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 219 of 298
(4,918 Views)

Just testing out the new forum feature called "public private message"

Capture.PNG

Message 220 of 298
(4,793 Views)