BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can virtual instruments reduce biomedical waste?

Hi friends,

I would like to discuss on a bit different topic. It is not directly related to any feature of labview, not about its technical details. It is a question related to the overall application and facilities provided by LabVIEW to the society.

A very hot issue in biomedical is Biomedical waste. In modern age we are vividly using LabVIEW in biomedical applications. It is offering us too many technical and commercial facilities and advancement we know.

But I just want to know, whether it will help us to reduce biomedical waste?

What do you think? Let me know your opinion.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(8,179 Views)

Interesting thought but hard to connect.

Software is virtual and bio waste is physical.

So what aspect of the current physical can be implemented in a virtual fashion?

I was at a nonscale conference a while ago and heard a talk on some some stuff that changes it color based on the amount of sugar it is exposed too. The idea at teh time was to imbed the stuff in a contact lens so that it could be exposed to the sugar level in the tears. A small comat miror with a color chart would allow instantaeous readings.

So in that case all of the bio waste of blood sugar testing goes away.

So what other aspect of medicine can be replaced with a reusable component and what part can LV play in that?

So I'll throw out the extremes to inspire practical ideas (maybe?).

The "paper work" to complete my morning buisness is an area that may be best left alone.

Other aspect of medical paper work shoudl already be gone and the medicine gange is way behind the times.

So how about attacking pain?

Can LV be used to simulate block pain receptors?

Well medicine is not my area of expetise so I'll have to leave it for the rest of you to come up with ideas.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(8,161 Views)

I think it was "Ant Kings of Gore" (or something like that) where I read about how meticulusly clean ants are.

So how about codeing little micro bugs that clean medical equipment so it can be re-sued instead of being thrown away?

I should probalby try to work on sillier ideas...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(8,158 Views)

Mr. Ben,

Thanks for this valuable reply. Sugar testing idea is really novel and great. Hope others will come up with some new points.

What other testing instruments can be replaced by some other means; or can be simulated as virtual instruments? What is about ECG/EEG electrodes?

Anyone any idea?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(8,157 Views)

"Ant Kings of Gore" where can I get the related article?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(8,153 Views)

After checking I think it was "Preist-Kings of Gor" as listed here.

Ben

Message 6 of 15
(8,140 Views)

Ben wrote:

So how about codeing little micro bugs that clean medical equipment so it can be re-sued instead of being thrown away?

Why so complicated? We could just train regular ants (maybe with a genetic engineering nudge) to do all that, and they would even reproduce to make an infinite amount of cleaners. 🙂

Here in California we have these Argentine ants that everybody (involuntary!) keeps as house pets. They don't sting. They send out these scouts to find anything anywhere in the house (e.g. a cake-crumb, a dead fly, etc.). Depending on the size of the job, they communicate back to the others and a long trail of ants silently clean everything up. Once everything is clean, they disappear again. Perfect! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(8,122 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Ben wrote:

Why so complicated? We could just train regular ants (maybe with a genetic engineering nudge) to do all that, and they would even reproduce to make an infinite amount of cleaners. 🙂

Here in California we have these Argentine ants that everybody (involuntary!) keeps as house pets. They don't sting. They send out these scouts to find anything anywhere in the house (e.g. a cake-crumb, a dead fly, etc.). Depending on the size of the job, they communicate back to the others and a long trail of ants silently clean everything up. Once everything is clean, they disappear again. Perfect! 😄

Don't rule out LV so quickly!

Care and feeding of the ants could be handled by a LV app and while we are at it throw in some clasical conditioning (does that work on ants?) so tht they can come and go on demand.

Dump your Roomba stock now.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(8,120 Views)

would be great if they could also clean dust and attack any other insect (including other ants).

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(8,115 Views)

the"re-sued" medical equipment is what keeps the insurance premiums so high!, it is not bad enough that they are sued the first time!  Sorry Ben, it was too appropriate to the medical profession to pass up.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(8,087 Views)