BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug report numbers now confidential?

I've reported a few bugs over the past couple months, and it's been hard to get CAR numbers from the support reps. They had said this was because they were transitioning to a new system, and that formalities weren't ironed out yet.

Well, it sounds like they ironed them out. I just received the following via e-mail:

I filed the bug, but our system for keeping track of bugs has changed so that I won't be able to give you the number. Specific CARs aren't referenced in LabVIEW releases anymore, and bug reports are kept internal.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'll sit here an rant to the hippo paperweight on my desk (even more effective than a rubber ducky!), but wondered if anyone else had received the same response?

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,488 Views)

It's news to me.

It's very possible that with the system change that specific bugs won't be called out in new releases (not part of my job so I wouldn't know) but they still have unique tracking numbers so if you called in we could check it pretty easily. I'll ping a PSE tomorrow for you.

A bug hasn't been filed for your last SR anyway so there isn't anything to tell you there.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2 of 4
(6,426 Views)

Chris, I'll internally address the miscommunication you received in regards to sharing Bug IDs externally.

Bug IDs can be shared with customers, nothing has changed.  We will continue to communicate Bugs with releases as part of Readmes, Known Issues and Bug Fixes.

We will be referring to them as Bug or Bugs now instead of CARs.  CAR and Bug IDs are separate, non-overlapping, and the older CAR IDs can continue to be referenced in support requests and in documentation.

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
Message 3 of 4
(6,306 Views)

@Jacobson

I didn't expect anything to have happened yet on my most recent. I'm referencing one I filed several weeks ago.

@Paul-D

Thanks! I was very disheartened to hear the change as it was described to me. Your response makes me feel much better.

Edit: BTW, everyone needs a desk hippo. They are good facilitators. For those unfamiliar, they're a more compact cousin of the house hippo.

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,300 Views)