BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andy Roonie like rant

Hi All,
In the spirit of an Andy Roonie (an old curmudgeon American TV columnist) rant, what is up with giving 5 star ratings to the original question in a post? Sure if the question itself illuminates some arcane aspect of the mysteries of LabVIEW programming, but 5 stars for something of the order of "where in the pallettes do I find the color box control" seems a unlikely candidate for the award. Or maybe the newer community members are unclear on the purpose of the rating system?

End rant, get coffee, calm down, "write" LabVIEW.

Putnam Monroe
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 1 of 5
(6,855 Views)
Ha ha ha! You got me with that one, although maybe my "question" did fall into the category of illuminating an obscure aspect of LabVIEW! Or Not.

Putnam Monroe
LabVIEW Curmudgeon since 1992
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,839 Views)
Another recent spin on this. 🙂
Message 3 of 5
(6,832 Views)
Counter to the standard Andy Roonie rant where the target of his rhetoric never replies, let me step forawrd and claim partial responsiblity for this issue.

Forgive me for I have sinned...

I am a star abuser!

I have set a personal goal to be the first person to award more than 10,000 stars. I only have 420 left to go.

I will assign stars anytime I would have "smiled and noded" if the conversation was in person.

If i see a rookie asking an important basic question that all rookies should know, I MAY give them 5-stars.

If I see a frequent flyer being very patient with a questioner, I give them stars.

If I see a question I would like to see someone answer I give it stars.

If I do not know the answer to a Q I give stars.

If I know the answer and want to find out if others know the answer, I give stars.

If you make me laugh you get stars.

If you make me think you get stars.

If I can't beat your example I give stars.

So...

I will give stars to any question that I want to get noticed by others or Q I want to follow-up on.

I will let others comment on why they assign ratings to questions.

Ben

PS I only assign 5-star ratings because in my book there only 10 possible ratings available rated and not rated.
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 5
(6,805 Views)
No rule for me...
If I'm happy/satisfied/pleased/positively surprized... well, you know, if I feel somehow better after than before, I'll give stars. Of course Ben's rules are a quite good descriptor of my own behaviour ! 😉

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 5 of 5
(6,774 Views)