From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation code fun

I'm a software engineer for a company that has a sitewide license for LabWindows/CVI.  I've often been assigned to work on test equipment projects that involve designing GUIs, so I'm usually the guy who gets to install LabWindows on our PCs.

For no particular reason, I started keeping track of the frequency with which each character occurs in the LabWindows activation codes.  After six activations, here's what I've found:

Untitled.jpg

Now, I can understand the lack of vowels.  That's an easy way to prevent the codes from spelling out any embarrassing words.  But I do find it odd how often 'F' seems to come up.  Just a random thought.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,180 Views)

After six activations?

Hardly representative is it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,146 Views)

How many characters are in such an activation code? (I guess I could add up all the numbers and divide by six :D).

I would think that the lack of wowels is probably statistically significant.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,112 Views)

@richferrara wrote:

Now, I can understand the lack of vowels.  That's an easy way to prevent the codes from spelling out any embarrassing words.  But I do find it odd how often 'F' seems to come up.  Just a random thought.

Great ThoughtSmiley Surprised

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,046 Views)

Updated results after 13 activations:

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P