From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aaaarrrgggh!! Fix the Search tool!!! PLEASE!!

<my first rant>

I don't know how many times we've been told that the search feature of NI.com is going to be sorted out, but today I wanted to download the latest NI-DAQmx compatible with LabVIEW 8.6 (which is v9.5.1 - according to Google search). So I searched for "NI-DAQmx 9.5.1", and this is the search result. How is this relevant!!?!?!?! Smiley Mad

The latest version is 9.8, so if it's not going to give me that version I ask for, I might have expected to be shown the latest instead. But version 8.7.1, 8.9.5 and 9.0!? And then other NI products. I really really do get so fed up with this pitiful search engine. I guess I need to ask Google again!!!

</my first rant>

ni-daqmx_8.5.1_or_not.JPG

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 1 of 36
(11,630 Views)

It looks like you searched for 8.5.1, but I really came to say that I use google to search NI's site: site:ni.com DAQmx 9.5.1

goog.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 36
(11,624 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

It looks like you searched for 8.5.1, but I really came to say that I use google to search NI's site: site:ni.com DAQmx 9.5.1

Argh! You're right! Bugg#r it.

Why can't there be a tabled list of all NI-DAQmx releases, each a link to the download page. Then I could easily scroll down and find the one I want, and download it. Preferably also each with a list of compatible LabVIEW versions alongside.

An update to this page maybe? http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B0D5630C0A50D5C6862578E800459248

comp_table.jpg

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 36
(11,619 Views)

What a great color scheme they used.  TIL I'm color blind. 😞

colors.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 36
(11,611 Views)

I agree, the search tool STINKS. I just use google now too search the NI site for ANYTTHING, whether kb's or drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 36
(11,562 Views)

ditto..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 36
(11,544 Views)

These posts suggest that the easy fix is to remove the search function and add a link to Google search?

Lynn

Message 7 of 36
(11,527 Views)

I am the owner of the Search Platform at NI. Thanks for the feedback, and I do watch these posts. We are actively working on our search platform, and will have a lot of new features and improvements releasing in 2014.  Search is not a trivial technology to manage and has a lot of subjective corner cases. It's a blessing and a curse.

I could discuss the topic of using Google at length, but it's not simply a matter of just replacing it with Google. If it were, we would've done it, but there are many uses for search technology and the site search experience is only one of them. I am an active user of Google technology and understand it's benefits as well as it's shortcomings.

This post started with a rant on querying for a DAQmx version that doesn't exist (8.5.1), and that is obviously not something that the search engine can present as a result since it does not exist.  Could we handle that better, yes. I will look into that.  I think the results for searching for DAQmx 9.5.1 are relatively good, but search is subjective.

Kenn North
Principal Product Manager - Search, Digital Analytics
http://ni.com/search
Message 8 of 36
(11,445 Views)

Kenn,

Thanks for listening and for letting us know that you are working on the issues.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(11,419 Views)

Thanks for dropping by and letting us know our frustrations are heard.  You've gut guts taking on the project!  You've probably even set yourself up for some good natured kidding.  (e.g. "How do you find Kenn's office?"  Kudos for the funniest punchlineSmiley Very Happy)

Seriously, I, for one, wish you all the best and hope for great strides to be made soon!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36
(11,379 Views)