BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A plea for full words

Smercurio,

I'm with you.
But the problem solves itself (from my point of view).
If I see such a post I'm not so eager to answer.

Some of the acronyms are not well know throughout the world.
What means w/ ??? (on LAVA, LAVA)

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 11 of 83
(11,688 Views)

w/  =  with

Typically used as a shortcut to say with

Ex:  The SW came w/drivers  = The SW came with drivers

R

Message 12 of 83
(11,686 Views)
I also noticed that this often comes from people who have ESL (acronyms, yeah! Smiley Happy ). As such, I often tend to relatively forgive it, but I agree that it generally has no place here and that people should make the effort to respect their audience and at least try to write properly.

When we see that, we should all politely reply that they should use full words because we cannot understand the gibbersish.. 😉
Message 14 of 83
(11,663 Views)
w/o   -  Without

i/o    -    input output

brb   -   be right back

4       - for
Message 15 of 83
(11,642 Views)
Hi
   smercurio, I'm with you too.  mainly because for a non native speaking, these acronyms are LESS legible than plain english, even if they're legible.

Yes, it saves keyboard hits, but my brain (which has of course poor resources...) has to add a layer to translate: slang --> english --> italian.  So please, write it all down Smiley Happy

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 83
(11,596 Views)

We should differentiate between using acronyms which are relatively standard (like BTW, OTOH, FWIW, etc.) and writing things like "4, i, u, plz", etc.

The first one can be annoying, but is standard and can be solved with a simple Google search and if you happen to have a program like Babylon I'm sure there are dictionaries for this.
The second one is just annoying. It doesn't make the posts any harder to read in itself, but it's appropriate in a chat, not in a forum like this.

FWIW, I'll try to use less acronyms. Smiley Very Happy

(11,587 Views)

We should differentiate between using acronyms which are relatively standard (like BTW, OTOH, FWIW, etc.)

BTW -  by the way   the other two  i have no idea.......
Message 18 of 83
(11,579 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 83
(11,577 Views)

muks wrote:

the other two  i have no idea.......

My point was that if you don't know you can simply do a Google search. I had to do this myself more than once (although I often find it more fun to figure out the meaning of the acronym on my own Smiley Happy )

(11,568 Views)