BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Great LV Story

I'm pushing this one pretty hard, but I think it is very funny and well written. Want to see what life is like (not) in the LV group? Check out the story written by one of our own LV developers.

Message 1 of 17
(10,932 Views)

Wow...

a) Welcome to the BreakPoint.

b) I'm proud to be the first one to award that post 5 stars.

c) And I thought my bugs were tough...

d) If Greg can be baffled by a lowly LV bug, what can the rest of us say?

e) Are you sure that wasn't ripped off from a Star Trek episode?

Smiley Very Happy

Hahaha, good stuff.  It's always interesting to hear about the way going on behind the scenes...
Message 3 of 17
(10,919 Views)

Nice story Brian!

I guess that it si true and it was LV 6.01

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(10,907 Views)
So, when's the miniseries coming out 😉
Message 5 of 17
(10,907 Views)

Superb piece of SF and humor.
And a good example of the brain devastation resulting from excess coding 😄

Anything else in store ?

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 6 of 17
(10,888 Views)

Brian,

What does "it constant folded that zero" mean?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 7 of 17
(10,878 Views)
When a built-in function (aka primitive aka one of the black-on-pale-yellow nodes that isn't a VI, such as the Add primitive) has constants wired to it, LabVIEW can run the code at compile time and store the results so that it already is done when you actually run the VI.  Obviously it depends on the primitive -- a "TCP/IP Open Connection" primitive isn't going to be able to do its work before you start running, no matter how many constants you wire to it, but any of the math and string primitives can.

"Constant folding" is the term we use for folding up the results of these constant calculations.

Message 8 of 17
(10,871 Views)

Thanks Aristos, that's good to know.

Are you Steve, who "finally diagnosed the problem"? If so, kudos (assuming the story is real. If it isn't, kudos for the other work on LV)!

I was guessing Steve was the person who holds the patent on the LV Picture control.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(10,848 Views)