BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 R.E.

It is appropriate that this message board is called BreakPoint as I have reached a breakpoint in my career. After 20 years in test engineering, it looks very likely that I will be RE in 2017. I had thought that I would work part-time for a few more years, but the jobs just aren't there.

The passing of Dennis Knutson in 2016 is a reminder that I should walk away before the grains of sand run out.

Who knows?  I could be wrong and a great job pops up, but I am not holding my breath.

Message 1 of 8
(6,487 Views)

I should be recursively enumerable. Maybe in a few years.... 😄

I wish you well in whatever you do in the future. Make sure to visit the forum once in a while.

Message 2 of 8
(6,429 Views)

@nyc_(is_out_of_here) wrote:

It is appropriate that this message board is called BreakPoint as I have reached a breakpoint in my career. After 20 years in test engineering, it looks very likely that I will be RE in 2017. I had thought that I would work part-time for a few more years, but the jobs just aren't there.

The passing of Dennis Knutson in 2016 is a reminder that I should walk away before the grains of sand run out.

Who knows?  I could be wrong and a great job pops up, but I am not holding my breath.

I am in a similar boat.

my better-half and I met with our investment advisor about a month ago about what we should be doing. He answered by writing in large letters on a note pad "RETIRE". It was a wonderful shock but welcome at the same time.

Being cautious by nature we are going to transition gradually with her retiring first since she puts in more time than me, has a longer commute and a high stress job...

If can get her retired and can stay on our current budget, I may be able to follow her and back away from the keyboard and retire myself.

There comes a time in all of our lives when our part in the comedy of life has to be deferred to others.

As Christian suggested check in here in the break point. I will try to do the same.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 8
(6,408 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I wish you well in whatever you do in the future. Make sure to visit the forum once in a while.

I already am RE.  At least I haven't found a false positive yet 😄

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,392 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Only because nobody has done a code review of you to find that one test that tests for a no response (it might be in your emotion register).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,384 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Only because nobody has done a code review of you to find that one test that tests for a no response (it might be in your emotion register).

Wrong null hypothesis to disprove RE

Example_VI.png
 is r.e.

I presume my retirement is a perfect example of the "Halting Problem"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,376 Views)

my better-half and I met with our investment advisor about a month ago about what we should be doing. He answered by writing in large letters on a note pad "RETIRE". It was a wonderful shock but welcome at the same time.

Congratulations to you and your SO!

I don't have an investment advisor. I am a DIY-er, but Firecalc seems to indicate that I should be okay.  The only caveat would be medical insurance. I am budgeting $1000/month for that until I hit Medicare age.

Message 7 of 8
(6,371 Views)

I thought a month ago that I might be retired, had submitted the "paperwork" for US Social Security, as well as whatever my Lockheed Martin/GE pension might be, then got a call about a contract position not too far from where I live (well, and hour and a half drive on mostly interstate highways). Went down there, they said they wanted me, so I am not yet retired. Ironically, the day of the interview was also the day the first S.S check was deposited. As I am at the official age of "full retirement" in the US, money I make now won't be deducted from my S.S checks, so I am going to try and put as much of this income into the retirement kitty. Would like to retire, really enjoyed going to see one of our children at medical school in Grenada, W.I., wasn't thrilled that it was cut short by returning to start a new job!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 8 of 8
(6,335 Views)