From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Biomedical User Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEG, how to get from one's head into one's computer?

We have an ancient system (Neuroscan) for doing 32-channel EEG and would like to replace it with modern hardware without having to buy a super expensive turnkey system. 

The major issue, it seems, will be getting EEG signals from the cap (from Electro-Cap International) into the computer. At the very least, we need some way to amplify (microvolts?) and interface them. Is there any way to proceed?

I've seen some discussions here suggesting there is a biomedical toolkit that can help process EEG signals, and that implies someone has figured out a way to get these signals from one's head into the computer. There is also OpenBCI's Ultracortex "Mark IV", but it's just 16 channels. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,072 Views)

are you trying to buy a very expensive EEG system without an amplifier? Usually the whole setup includes electrode cap, electrode box, amplifier with ADC. Software will take care of recording and export your data into a specific format like edf.

I suggest you download some eeg files from physionet and try it out with biomedical toolkit and see if it is what you want.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,015 Views)

I am trying to avoid buying a very expensive EEG system. Biomedical toolkit is not the issue. The issue is how to get the data there without spending an arm and a leg.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,012 Views)

Sorry I read it wrong. I think OpenEEG or OpenBCI worth a shot. But there's no easy way to build your own recording system.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,010 Views)

Yes, I discovered that and will look into it further. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,008 Views)