Bay Area LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Contractor Position in Arizona

Hey all,

Chris Killian at Technical-Link sent this to me... Looks like $85/hr.  If you call him, please let him know I referred you.  

-Matt Bradley

NEW REQ

6 months contract

MUST have design of ATE experience

Clearance: None// 
Conversion: None - very specific position. 

**Hands-on position. Working on small team. Will need to be self-sufficient. Position requires experience with developing LabVIEW applications to be executed on ATE, so cand should be well versed in design of automated test equipment** 
Work within a design team to develop hardware systems for use in verification and validation of flight hardware designs. 
Minimum of 12 years experience designing and integrating hardware test systems for electronic and electrical systems. 
Experience with avionics/aerospace electronics is preferred. 
Candidate must have experience designing Automated Test Equipment (ATE). 
Capable of working in a lab environment and experience with electrical/electronic lab equipment. 
Major focus is on experience developing LabVIEW applications to control ATE and in use for testing avionics.

Christopher Killian | Technical Recruiter

Technical-Link North America

Voice: 561-228-1921

Fax: (702)442-7327

ckillian@technical-link.com

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,672 Views)

I'd just like to throw out that if you are a competent LabVIEW developer with 12 years of experience, you really shouldn't be working for $85/hr!  You should feel empowered to value your time at a higher rate than your auto mechanic commands (though I'm sure your auto mechanic is also a great guy or gal). 😉

Message 2 of 10
(5,665 Views)

Thanks Dan.  Good point.  It also brings up a larger point about compensation, but let's use this case as an example.  What do you think the rate should be?

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,660 Views)

The rate would surely vary with the developer's level of certification and their specific background and references, but if the end customer is looking for someone talented with 12 years of relevant experience I think more like mid-$100s/hr anyway.

I'm not sure how to factor in the location being in AZ.  There would obviously be a lower cost of living, but I would think a lot of people would require a pretty strong incentive to relocate for a 6-month contract position.

Generally speaking, my experience has been that if a company resorts to using outside recruiters, they are typically failing to staff their position due to poor compensation (or other unappealing factors). In the end they might find someone with limited skills to come and work for $85/hr, but their total cost will likely be much higher when that developer takes five times as long to finish the job, compared to a talented developer charging $170/hr who could really get things done for them.  Not to mention the schedule impact and recruiting costs.  It strikes me as a very short-sighted approach.

What do other people think?

Message 4 of 10
(5,637 Views)

I agree with what Dan says, especially in the Bay Area, but I also struggle with how to factor in the remote location. Yes, $85/hr is low around here, but if they're recruiting out of state, it's not hard to imagine that that same rate might be pretty appealing to someone coming from an area with a similarly low cost of living. Though it might be in the company's best interest, I don't think I've ever seen one from out of state ever raise their rates to Bay Area levels.

Bottom line, I don't think I've ever found an out of state opportunity that worked for me, but that's not to say that it's the same for everyone or that good opportunities don't exist. But going back to Dan's original comment, people shouldn't short-change themselves when the position calls for so much experience.

I'm curious, have other people taken extended, remote positions and how did the compensation compare to jobs in the Bay Area?

CLA CLED AF Guild
Message 5 of 10
(5,625 Views)

Hi ALL!   Having twenty years of experience in staffing, I’m happy to answer your questions regarding contractors, rates and quality of service and make recommendations.  Please call me anytime at 408-316-6719.  Happy to schedule a conference call for all who are interested!  😊

Message 6 of 10
(5,620 Views)

Well Casey, that's an interesting question.  I have talked to one person who wanted me to do work in Toronto for $65/hr.  Didn't go very far with that...   Generally, I have never had to look very far for work.  But I relocated to the Bay Area in 2001 because there was a lot of work here compared to Pennsylvania.

I have some other jobs I'll post here soon.

Let's throw in one more variable to the mix... How much difference, if any, does it make if the job is going through an agency?

-Matt Bradley

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,590 Views)

@MattBradley wrote:

Let's throw in one more variable to the mix... How much difference, if any, does it make if the job is going through an agency?

10 years ago a staffing agency would take 35% to 50% of the actual rate they charge their customer ... for shielding said customers from liability (like W2/1099 misclassification) without any added benefits for temps/contractors. Bloodsuckers Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 10
(5,583 Views)

@Dmitry wrote:

@MattBradley wrote:

10 years ago a staffing agency would take 35% to 50% of the actual rate they charge their customer ... for shielding said customers from liability (like W2/1099 misclassification) without any added benefits for temps/contractors. Bloodsuckers Smiley Mad

I agree with everything said. If you're going to take a job through an agency, don't expect to stay around for long. View it as short term stepping stone to build your long term career.

It's high time that the community demands higher rates. We've had to deal with the "no programming required" or "so easy that a monkey could do it" marketing BS for too long.

Message 9 of 10
(5,568 Views)

I started a project last year where my customer's legal team decided it was essential to hire me through a staffing agency.  I'm really not sure of the reason, since I am very clearly a consultant, and have actually worked with this same customer directly before.  The staffing agency marked up my rate by roughly $30/hr, which is fine with me since I'm still being paid my normal rate, and I think that I actually get 401(k) matching after six months.  Haha.

It seems silly to me that the customer is willing to pay that much of a premium to feel shielded from liability, but the project was apparently easier to get approved that way.  It just goes to show that higher rates aren't always a deal breaker. 😉

Message 10 of 10
(5,544 Views)