Bay Area LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introductions

Hello Bay Area NI Afficiendos!

Thanks for joining the local user community.

In an attempt to start some dialogue, I thought I'd initiate a thread for introductions.  Hopefully, this thread will assist the local users in getting to know each other and build a little camaraderie.  If you're interested in participating simply "reply" to this post with the following information.

Name?

Location?

Current version of LabVIEW?

Introduction to LabVIEW and/or years working with LabVIEW?

Cool applications you've completed?

Fun fact(s)?

Here you go.

Note, since I'm a local NI guy, I'm going to show that I love all my NI test and automation children by not making my entry too LabVIEW specific.

Name?

Conan McHugh

Location?

Varies on a daily basis but typically Silicon Valley by day, San Francisco by night.

NI tools being used (including version)?

All types and pretty much all versions released in the last four years.  That's pretty much a job requirement.

Introduction to NI tools and/or years working with NI Tools?

Unwittingly used LabVIEW in my Process Control Lab class 12 years ago during my first senior year in college.  Oh, to be young again.

I've seen a bunch from testing the F-35 at Lockheed to adding the little yellow line on the football field at ESPN.  That being said, I've "completed" few myself.

Fun fact(s)?

Conan is my given name.

Texas got less liberal and California got more conservative in one fell swoop when I moved from Dallas to Mountain View 3.5 years ago.

Despite that fact that I work for a technology company, one could argue that I'm a late adopter... at least when it comes to social networking.  This is the first ever myspace, facebook, etc posting of any noticeable duration.

Look forward to seeing you at the next user group,

The LabVIEW Barbarian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(14,480 Views)

Hi there.  Good idea, Conan - I know there are a lot of us LabVIEWers here in the Bay Area.  This should be interestng...

Name?

Paul Lukins

Location?

I live in Livermore (10 years now) and work in San Jose.  Before Livermore, I lived in Milpitas (also 10 years, hmmmm... is this

a pattern?  if so I should be moving soon NOT)

Pretty much LabVIEW right now.  Just got my LabVIEW 2009 Developer Suite update.  Looking forward to installing soon - on

8.6 at the moment.

To be young again?  I think I have a few years on you...  I started working on LabVIEW the year it went from mac to PC.  I've

used the TestExecutive (and honestly was sad to see it replaced by TestStand - why, oh why?), TestStand (all versions),

LabWindows/CVI (most versions since around 1994)

So many, I'm sure I would forget more than I would remember.  A couple of cool apps that stand out in my mind are: I

developed a full blown test system architecture using TestStand and LabVIEW for parallel testing of multiple GPS receivers

for software QA testing.  I've also built my own version of the beloved TestExecutive which I call "Test Shell" which has all

the power of TestStand but it's pure LabVIEW.  I'm also a PERL guy, so I've created a library of PERL-like functions for use

in LabVIEW.  Together, PERL and LabVIEW could run the world...

Fun fact(s)?

I used to be in the US Air Force and between the military and companies I've worked for, I've been to 10 different countries

and counting. Born and raised in the Bay Area - I've been all over the place and I'm ALWAYS glad to get back home.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,902 Views)

Name

Sudhir Gopinath

Live in Mountain View, work in Redwood City

Current version of LabVIEW

Introduction to LabVIEW and/or years working with LabVIEW

Introduced to LabVIEW while building autonomous vehicles at Virginia Tech.  Been using LabVIEW for 8 years.

Cool applications you've completed

Automated test systems for a variety of medical devices (such as the smartpill made by Proteus Biomedical).

Fun fact(s)

I enjoy food a lot more than dessert.

S G
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,902 Views)

Hello Conan et. al.,

Happy to accommodate your request.

Name:

Oliver Barrett

Sunnyvale / Santa Clara

LabVIEW version:

I've mainly used LabVIEW 8+ but am now starting v. 2009 at work.

I taught myself LabVIEW in 2006 after getting frustrated with poor instrument control performance from my company's C-based program, which led to my replacing it with a LabVIEW app (that performs automated image sensor spectral photosensitivity tests).

I enjoy astronomy, ham radio and hiking (the latter two often in combination).

Looking forward to the user group meeting this month.

Best regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,902 Views)

Hi All,

Here's my intro:

Leo

Name

Leo Generali

Santa Clara

Current version of LabVIEW

Introduction to LabVIEW and/or years working with LabVIEW

Got tasked with created the first automated tester at a company in 2000, and have been using it ever since!

Cool applications you've completed

Alot of different photonics applications.

Fun fact(s)

I love hiking and camping.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,902 Views)

Name?

Jim Kring

Location?

JKI Offices in San Francisco and around the bay visiting customers

Most NI tools, with a focus on LabVIEW

I got a job in the summer of 1995 while at UC Berkeley programming spectroscopy beamline 9.3.1 on the ALS synchrotron at LBNL.

Too many to count.  Many of which I'm not allowed to talk about, since they are for customers.

Fun fact(s)?

I love to surf.  I've been stung by a stingray.  I love knowing the fastest and most efficient ways to achieve a given task and always try to overlap effort toward achieving multiple goals.  My wife and I are having a baby in late September!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,902 Views)

Name:

Nikolay Iliev

San Jose, CA

Current version of LabVIEW:

I developed mainly on version 7, but recently I am getting familiar with 8.6.

Introduction to LabVIEW and/or years working with LabVIEW:

Cool applications you've completed:

Here is a link to one of them: automated coating machine for holographic and photographic applications

Fun fact(s):

I love skiing & traveling

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,902 Views)

Name?

Jason Dunham

Location?

Mountain View for work, San Francisco for family, Hwy 101 far more often than I'd like.

LabVIEW 8.6 transitioning to LV2009.  Trying to get productive with the Unit Test Framework

Started LabVIEWing in 1994 and never looked back.

I work on the ShotSpotter, stopping criminals with graphical programming

Fun fact(s)?

I'm the assistant treasurer of the PTA at my kids' elementary school. Now _that's_ real power.

I've used LabVIEW at the South Pole.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,902 Views)

So we DO have a user group in Bay Area

Name?

Lu SUN

Location?

Working in Hayward and living in Pleasanton. I used to be a member of WALUG. 2 years ago I moved to easy bay from East Coast.

LabVIEW 4.0 ~ 8.5. TestStand 2.0. LabWindow ... I don't remember. Last time used it was 4 years ago.

1997 in Eastman Kodak as a summer intern. Being a LabVIEW lover since then.

The universal test bed for all Ciena product lines -- pure LabVIEW (and some VB), no TestStand.

"Can you hear me now?" drvier program -- recording GPS location and cellular signal powers.

Fun fact(s)?

I used LabVIEW to create game-save-file-modifier for Civilization serials and Panzer General serials. Yeah, I'm a cheater

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,902 Views)

Hi Everybody

name: Deepthi

Location: san jose, moved to the bay area recently from atlanta area

current version of LabVIEW: 8.6

Introduction to LabVIEW and/or years working with LabVIEW? : 2 years now, self taught labivew to work on my research work in school for my masters. worked with cRIO and labVIEW FPGA

applications : worked on an electromagnetic sensor for UXO detection, for eglin air force robotics lab, FL

fun facts : almost every letter of my name sounds the same deee eeee eeeeee peeee teeee i

I love to travel, cook and ofcourse eat

Nice to meet you here guys

--deepti

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,902 Views)