Bay Area LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction to SCC.pptx

S G
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
Message 1 of 6
(7,916 Views)

Sudhir, I really hope you're giving this presentation at NIWeek! Your main point about how easy it is to get started with SCC is so important; the barriers to entry are much lower than one might expect.

Message 2 of 6
(4,903 Views)

Thanks, Jack.  How is Wirebird Labs doing? 

How is Wirebird Labs doing?  I'd love to see a presentation about "Deploy" at one of our user group meetings.  It would be really relevant to any LabVIEW developer.

S G
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
Message 3 of 6
(4,903 Views)

SudhirGopinath wrote:

Thanks, Jack.  How is Wirebird Labs doing?... I'd love to see a presentation about "Deploy" at one of our user group meetings.  It would be really relevant to any LabVIEW developer.

Great, thanks for asking! I may not be to many BALUG meetings now that I'm based in Austin, but I got word an NIWeek 2013 presentation was accepted on deployment automation; we won't focus on Deploy, but rather deployment strategies and tactics in general -- I agree, this topic is quite relevant to any LabVIEW developer! 🙂

Hey, back on SCC -- have you tried distributed version control systems (DVCS, like Git and Mercurial) versus centralized repository systems (like SVN and CVS)? I switched to Hg a few years ago and haven't looked back.

Currently, the market leader is still SVN (especially in the LabVIEW world), and I personally see TSVN as the best Windows client available and the greatest asset for SVN (it's fantastic, I loved TSVN and its integrations) -- but it looks like momemtum has been shifting toward DVCS lately, especially Git. (I'm not as happy with any Hg or Git client as I ever was with TSVN, but SourceTree for Windows looks incredibly promising. I've already used it for a while on Mac for web dev, but have been waiting for the Windows port to use it for LabVIEW dev.)

check out Google Trends below ... it's not exactly a scientific indicator, but at least gives you a feel for direction which the political winds are blowing. It's also a consideration for software engineers new to SCC, to consider investing in the technology where more energy is likely to be focused through the next several years.

And I 100% support your recommendation in your presentation to find a good cloud host for your central repository -- I've had great success with BitBucket, Kiln, and GitHub, who also have no-cost or low-cost plans (and the opportunity to self-host, if you have security/regulatory restrictions)

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=svn+%2B+subversion+%2B+tortoise+svn+%2B+tsvn,+mercurial+%2B+t...

SCC-Trends.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,903 Views)

That's an interesting graph and does raise some good questions.  I am one of those people who googled svn some time in 2006 and then googled mercurial last year.  I didn't switch, but I was curious because I had heard people talking about it.  I think if I am in the situation where I need to commit or update my code regularly while not being connected to the internet, I will start to use a distributed SCC system.

I know quite a few git and mercurial users who love it.  My attitude basically is that I love them all because they all do the basic 4 or 5 things that cover 95% of what I need to do with SCC.  As long as SVN does the things I need it to, I'm happy to continue to use it.  When my clients have other systems in place, I just use theirs because they usually have processes around it.

The thing I really wanted to showcase in that presentation was that one can start from absolute scratch and start using SCC in around 14 minutes.  Thanks for mentioning BitBucket, Kiln and GitHub.  I'll have to try them out to see if any of them are easier than CloudForge.  I also love Beanstalkapp, but in the course of preparing for this presentation, I realized that they're quite a bit more expensive than CloudForge.

S G
Message 5 of 6
(4,903 Views)

SudhirGopinath wrote:

My attitude basically is that I love them all because they all do the basic 4 or 5 things that cover 95% of what I need to do with SCC.

Well said!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,903 Views)