Bay Area LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Error Classters : Improving Error Handling and Logging in LabVIEW” by Dmitry Sagatelyan

Abstract

Error Clusters are one of the most frequently used LabVIEW features. Error Clusters did not evolve over the years, yet still provide adequate error handling support for smaller applications. However, developers working on larger projects with emphasis on reusable code need something more flexible and scalable these days.

Presentation goes over design of an Error Handling & Logging Library that uses Error Classes instead of Error Clusters - which allows adding custom error data and altering error handling/logging functionality without touching application code or reusable class/library code.

Error Cluster wires are used to propagate both, native Error Cluster data and flattened Error Objects to Error Handling VIs without creating ripples throughout the code. 

This is the original presentation I gave at the Bay Area LabVIEW User Group meeting on November 10, 2015.

The (zipped) PowerPoint 2007 file has a fair amount of animations and is best viewed in Slide Show mode.

PDF file includes slide notes. To see notes either hover over an icon in the top left corner of a page (containing Notes) or right-click the icon and select “Open All Pop-ups” option.  Diagrams & images on slides with animations are stacked and may obscure images farther out along Z axis.

Notes are essential for better understanding this presentation.

Enjoy,

Dmitry

Message 1 of 4
(7,901 Views)

I have found it very useful.Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,476 Views)

@Dmitry This would be useful. I'm halfway though the PPT.  Did you intend to attach some code of "Error Classters"?  If so, it's missing..!  Would you be able to show me the sample code of the error classter?  I'm intersted to have a look at it..

--
Ajay MV

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,476 Views)

No, you are not missing anything - there is no code in the zip file. It took some effort to properly decompose the problem into smaller pieces – leading to a lean and straightforward implementation. I think there are enough block diagrams and design diagrams in the 2nd part of PPT for getting a clear picture of how it all comes together … And there are plenty of Presenter Notes – please make sure to go through those notes as well …

Message 4 of 4
(6,476 Views)