Did you mean: 

2011 Meeting Schedule

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay-- here's the schedule of meetings for 2011:

February 22- LabVIEW Web UI Builder

May 17- Topic TBD

August 23- Topic TBD

November 8- Topic TBD

All 2011 meetings will be held at the Lookout unless otherwise noted. Meetings last from 5:45 to 8:30 p.m. and dinner is provided. To register for the next user group meeting, please click here. You'll have to fill out some information about yourself, then you're all set!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,388 Views)

Thanks for posting this.  I'm looking forward to a great year of LVUG meetings in 2010

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,485 Views)

I have registered and will attend 2/24/10. I have a subject for the meeting if Jim would agree. I have been working with a recipe editor and wonder if he has any better solutions for LabVIEW. My vi started off from a download, recipe.vi, from NI Developer Zone which I will attach. I have expanded on this vi but I am curious if there are better solutions. See you Wednesday,

Jon Griffith

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,485 Views)

It would be nice to know the Revision of the attached VIs when you post them.  Many of us are still working in 7.n or 8.n. (some still in "6"!!! )

I'm not sure if NI has done this, but it would be very good of NI to allow VIs to be saved in minor version as long as the diagream structures still apply to those versions.  This would allow more programmers to see or review code.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,485 Views)

Hey Jon,

I took a look, this is actually a pretty good system for accomplishing the task you described.  The program works pretty darn well, a couple of things to highlight:

Memory usage by the program will keep going up the longer you use it no matter if you delete the recipe list or clear it, (try it out with task manager running and queing a whole list of recipes then deleting).  One reasoning for this is that array memory usage in LabVIEW is handled in contiguous chunks.  So every time you add an element to the recipe array list you are ineffect creating a new memory space.  This is fine for making a recipe with a couple of recipes or even a couple hundreds of recipes; however, if you are doing thousands of recipes you'll start seeing a real resource hog just from the array manipulation alone.

A couple of things that could solve this is to first initialize the array from outside of the Event structure with and array for recipes of size "max number of recipes."  Now, instead of using "insert into array" you can use "replace array subset" making the program more memory efficient.

Another idea would be to utilize a queue for handling the recipes which are created by the user.  This would allow for maintaing the data flow from call back to call back and would also alleviate the memory problem mentioned above.

With all that said, I think for users working with a couple of recipes at a time, this isn't really a good deal, and is a pretty darn good system.

Best Regards,
Song Mu
National Instruments San Diego
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,485 Views)

Ken, I originally downloaded this vi from this discussion thread in the Develop

er Zone: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&requireLogin=False&thread.id=180001

I am not sure what version they posted there but perhaps you can see that one. My post was in LV9.

Thanks for your input Song. My usage will never be more than 8-10 commands so memory usage is not too much of a concern. I do initialize arrays and use replace array subset for the reasons you suggest whenever dealing with arrays.

see ya Wednesday,

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,485 Views)

I registered for the meeting tonight but my daughter just text me to let me know I have a school function tonight. So I won't make the user group meeting.

Warner Thelen

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,485 Views)

David et al.

I registered for the meeting, but unfortunately, I too won't be able to make it. I'm really sorry and was looking forward to my first meeting with the group.

Best Regards,

Tino

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,485 Views)

Tino/Warner,

Sorry you guys couldn't make it, but no worries!  We're very regular with these, so hopefully we can catch you next time in May!  We have a great group, and it looks like we're going to have to move to a bigger location.  Awesome!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,485 Views)