BLT for LabVIEW (Build, License, Track)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BLT to License and Track a LabView program running as a Windows service.

I have a LabView product that is made up of two executables, one is run as a Windows service and the other serves as a user console for the Windows service. I would like to use BLT to control the licensing of the Windows services portion of this product. But as the Windows service portion of this program does not include a UI, entering licensing information is not possible. Are there any examples or instructions that would point me in the write direction?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(10,964 Views)

As we discussed on the phone, we will continue to work on your suggestions on this point and let you know in couple days the direction we want to take with this. In the meantime, the following should allow you to accomplish what you want:

- Our suggestion is to create 2 different programs into BLT: 1 for  your Windows Service, and one for your Console.

- Your 2 products will be tracked, protected and updated separately, but you will still be able to manage them together since BLT easily allows to accomplish batch operations (like updating multiple products with 1 click)

- Since your Windows Service will not show any UI, the easiest way to activate it is to launch it as an executable (not a service) for the first time, and enter the Activation Key to complete the process. Then, you can run your program as a service and it will already be activated.

- Regarding the product update, when you release an update with BLT, you can specify to "Auto Update" the program. In this case, there is no prompt to install the new version, it will download and install the new version automatically without any popup. However, you shoud make sure that the service restarts properly after the update. (We will also work on this point to allow you to do this programmatically).

I've unlocked your license so you can add a second product in BLT with your free license and validate this work around for your case.

We keep in touch for the next steps.

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,886 Views)

I used the solution you recomended by completing the initial licensing of the windows service by running the program as an executable to complete the licensing process. And for the most part that worked fine. But when I run the program as a windows service after the initial activation the BLT vis will not complete their work, which of course does not allow my application to start properly. However, when I re-run the application as an executable again, the program starts with no issues, so I know that the activation part is working correctly. I believe that one of the activation pop ups is keeping the BLT vis from running correctly in a windows service mode. Any help would be appriciated, as at the momnet I am stuck.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,886 Views)

Hi Matthew,

I'm going to open a support request for your case so we can continue to troubleshoot this offline together.

Thanks.

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,886 Views)

Great, Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,886 Views)