Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely silent update

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have BLT remotely updating my application.  Questions:

I would like there to be as few pop-ups and prompts as possible.  Is there a silent mode of sorts?

We probably need a dialog asking if we want to update, but the other pop ups "Your application is updated.." Hit OK seems like a good candidate for removal.

I haven't tried it yet, but what happens if there is no internet connection? Does it hang?  Is there a way to silence this check as well?  (No connection=> continue silently with the old version).

Our applications runs 24-7 or until the PC is restarted, and is mobile.  There are occasions where the cell reception might be poor or non-existent.

thanks,

Neville.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,626 Views)

Hi Neville, 

There is currently no way to have a silent update without any dialog showing during the process.

However, it is possible to update remote systems without having a user interacting with the computer at all.

In order to do this, you need to Distribute your Product Update in Advanced Mode and check the "Auto Update" box (https://www.studiobods.com/help/bltforlabview/Advanced.html). This will remove the prompt asking the user if he wants to install the new update or not:

2020-02-26_15-35-38.png

Once the process has installed the new update, there is indeed a popup saying that the update has been completed with success and the program is going to restart. This popup will auto-close itself after 10 seconds if no one hovers the mouse on the OK button during these 10 seconds.

2020-02-26_15-33-00.png

This makes the entire update process completely unattended. Popups will show up during download and install of the update but they will all close automatically and at the end, your application will restart automatically.

This method is typically used by our customers to remotely update service applications that run on unattended computers.

Does that satisfy your needs?

Regarding your question on the Internet connectivity, BLT takes care of this for you automatically. If your application cannot contact the BLT Server, it will simply skip the Check for Updates and just start normally with the current version being already installed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,614 Views)

Matthias,

it works mostly as you mentioned.  There is one pop up from Windows UAC asking if it should allow some command line stuff to run.  It waits there until it is allowed by the user.  Is there anyway to acknowledge/run that silently?  Anything I can do on the Windows side for that PC?  Its running Windows7.  We have a mix of Toughbooks running Win7 and Win10.

thanks again,

Neville.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,612 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neville_D

You are right, the Windows UAC popup will show up during the update, but only if your application is installed in a location which requires admin rights (typically C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)).

This is because the application needs to elevate permissions in order to upgrade your application files on disk.

The way to solve this problem is to install your application in a location that doesn't require admin privileges (ex: C:\My Company\My Application).

Another alternative would be to give the logged-in user full permissions to the installation directory of your application.

I prefer the first method since you just have to configure your installer to install in a location which by default doesn't require admin privileges. If that folder doesn't exist on the machine at the time you execute the installer, the installer will take care of creating the folder and give appropriate permissions to the installer invoker. This will work perfectly unless the user runs the installer as admin, which is not the default behavior.

Hope this helps.

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,607 Views)