Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unsupported database format

Solved!
Go to solution

In the next XNET version we will improve the error message by adding that you have to use the alias name on RT (without any extension or path information). The alias name is displayed by the Alias Manager, where you deploy files to the RT system. By default the alias name is the name of the file without extension.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(4,182 Views)

@WaldemarM wrote:

In the next XNET version we will improve the error message by adding that you have to use the alias name on RT (without any extension or path information). The alias name is displayed by the Alias Manager, where you deploy files to the RT system. By default the alias name is the name of the file without extension.

Do you want to say if I have some database as XYZ.dbc, and I deploy it using alias name XYZ.dbc, it would give the error which I mentioned? Should deploying the database only by name XYZ instead of XYZ.dbc should work? Logically, I don't think that this should matter, as anyways the .dbc file would be deployed as a .DB file on the RT system...

FraggerFox

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(4,176 Views)

You are right, logically the alias "XYZ.dbc" could be OK on RT. However we use the same algorithms under Windows and RT and we consider files with .dbc extensions as text dbc files, .xml as FIBEX files and .ldf as LIN files and not aliases. We don't support opening text dbc files directly under RT, so we return this error message. Thanks for your feedback, we should improve that in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(4,171 Views)

@WaldemarM wrote:

You are right, logically the alias "XYZ.dbc" could be OK on RT. However we use the same algorithms under Windows and RT and we consider files with .dbc extensions as text dbc files, .xml as FIBEX files and .ldf as LIN files and not aliases. We don't support opening text dbc files directly under RT, so we return this error message. Thanks for your feedback, we should improve that in the future.

Ok, I tried removing .dbc extension, and it seems to work. But, I can find that when I deploy the CAN database to RT system, it gets deployed to the Windows Host also. I don't know why this is happening. Is this a known bug or is it designed that way?

-FraggerFox!
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(4,165 Views)

Before deplying to RT you need to define an alias name on Windows first. This is designed that way. The file is not being deployed on Windows by defining the alias name, just the file name and the alias name is added to a list of registered databases on this computer. When you have to manage multiple RT systems from one host, you must define the alias names only once and just select the files, enter the IP address and click Deploy. You can also do this programatically in LabVIEW or C/C++.

Message 15 of 21
(4,161 Views)

^ ^

Thanks for explaining that! 🙂

Fragger Fox

-FraggerFox!
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(4,158 Views)

For the life of me, I cannot remember how I solved this issue. I usually try to post after solving an issue but right after I encountered this problem I suffered a major tragedy (my 20 year old daughter passed away unexpectedly).

I believe it had to do with setting up the database properly in the XNET stuff for the real time system. My PXI system does not have Windows installed so it's a little different.

If I think of what I did (do not have the system here, obviously) I will post again.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(4,138 Views)

I am having these errors also. I dont know what file uses what. XNET makes a DB file. CAN uses a .ncd file. In the INIT start I point to the .ncd or don' point at all. All I get is error messages. Is there any packaged examples anywhere that include a project with the DBC file and complete instructions on how to do this. I not interested in spending days working this out. Given that this product had cost to it not to mention the cost for the RT and development system, I would expect better information on the setup and configuration in RT.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(4,038 Views)

This is a strange problem... we've never seen it before... DBC files should work just fine.

I have a few followup questions to help narrow it down:

1. Are you using a combination of NI-XNET and NI-CAN? 

2. When you run your VI on Windows (with DBC file), does this work?

3. When you open the DBC file using the NI-XNET Database Editor (see Start menu), does that return an error, or show red 'X' on any item?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(3,979 Views)

@Rodney Cummings wrote:

This is a strange problem... we've never seen it before... DBC files should work just fine.

I have a few followup questions to help narrow it down:

1. Are you using a combination of NI-XNET and NI-CAN? 

2. When you run your VI on Windows (with DBC file), does this work?

3. When you open the DBC file using the NI-XNET Database Editor (see Start menu), does that return an error, or show red 'X' on any item?

Well, for now, the issue I am facing is something else which is already with NI under Reference#1666291

I am using compatibility layer and point to the deployed .db database file, and try to create RX tasks.

This stuff is happening on RT.

Now, first time, it would open all the tasks, but it seems that it doesn't clear the tasks. Hence, when we stop and re-run the VI, it gives following error:

Error -1074384883 occurred at an unidentified location

Possible reason(s):

NI-XNET:  (Hex 0xBFF6300D) You tried to open the same frame twice. This is not permitted. Solution: open each frame only once.

I have come to a halt after facing this error, and my XNET card is biting dust since then.

-FraggerFox!
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(3,974 Views)