From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set node id and baudrate via lss (CANOpen)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

for a reasearch project we are trying to use 2 CAN volume flow sensors (http://www.hydrotechnik.com/english/QT106_DSEN.pdf) . To use them in our CAN network I first have to configure the node-id and baudrate of each one. The manufacturer told me to do this via Layer Setting Service (LSS). (How) Can i do that using Labview?

I can use one of the following NI CAN Cards: NI PCI-CAN/2 and NI-PCI-8512 .

Thanks for any hints.

Greetings,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,933 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thomas87

Unfortunately, neither of your interfaces are compatible with CANopen. You will need a PCI-8531.

The baudrate and node-id can be configured very easily with the NI Industrial Communications for CANopen library.

Message 2 of 9
(10,929 Views)

I am pretty sure they are compatible in "some" way, because I am already controlling motors with the pci-8512 and reading sensor values with the pci-can/2 via labview and CANOpen library.

Thanks for the answer. I'll pass that information and see if it's worth getting new NI equipment just for the 2 sensors or if getting sensors with analog output is better in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,923 Views)

Hi Thomas87,

perhaps this helps:

NI-LabVIEW-Bibliothek für CANopen

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/ni-industrial-communications-canopen/page/canopenhelp/canopen_h...

regards

Dippi

Message 4 of 9
(10,903 Views)

Don't miss this warning : NI does not recommend the NI CANopen LabVIEW Library for use in new designs.

If I remember correctly the installer don't allow you to select new versions (> 8.6 ?) of LabVIEW. Therefore you will have to copy files manually.

You should use the new and free driver (NI Industrial Communications) although it needs a PCI-8531 interface.

Message 5 of 9
(10,897 Views)

Hi all,

1) JB is right

NI does not recommend the NI CANopen LabVIEW Library for use in new designs

But it is a second way to communicate over CANOpen.

2) I started the Installer...as attachment you will find a screenshot

The installer works with LV 8.5, 8.6, 2009 and 2010 (I have installed LV 2012 - and I can't choose that option)
=> I / you have to install this library manually

Regards
Dippi

Message 6 of 9
(10,893 Views)

Thank you Dippi for the details about the available LV versions in the installer. I didn't remember the numbers.

Although one of my colleagues wrote an application with this now "obsolete" and "will stay as it is" library, I choose the switch to the new one when I had to use CANopen in a project about one year ago.

Our team of developers use a common library which is completed with VIs of every new project. Therefore, in medium and long term, it would be a nonsense to build VIs for our library with this no longer supported CANopen library.

I would really avoid this library if you have to maintain your code during severals years !

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(10,885 Views)

Thank you for your hints. I am using the NI CANOpen Library although it is not recommended because it was used for this project until now and I have to achieve certain goals in a short amount of time which means I do not have much time left over for switching systems/toolboxes and adjusting the existing code.

The problem that the old Library and my NI Cards do not support LSS remains of course. For now I can use different sensors, but I will order a new PCI-8531 soon.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(10,877 Views)

Hi there, 

Can you give an example how to change a node-id of a device? I have two encoders from the same manufacturer (http://www.directindustry.com/prod/asm-automation-sensorik-messtechnik-gmbh/product-7141-1332131.htm...) and I need to change their node IDs.

I do have PCI 8531 installed on my computer. 

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,207 Views)