From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nicanerr.txt generated from time to time

From time to time (less than once every 1000 successful communications), my program fails and the file nicanErr.txt is generated in the Windows directory. I believe it occurs during a ncReset but I don't know how to read that file to extract the pertinent information.

Does anybody know how to interpret the file ? Is it a bug in the driver (v2.2) or is there something wrong with my use of the can functions ?

My application is written with CVI 6.0. There are four PCI-CAN (single channel) and each board is driven by a single thread. All the threads have the normal priority and run freely without being synchronized with the others. When the error occurs, two threads fail at the same time.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,306 Views)
Hi,

It could be related to the following link:

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RNAME=ViewQuestion&HOID=5065000000080000000E880000&ECategory=Industrial+Networks.CAN

Can you post an example that generates the crash?

Regards.

JV
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,306 Views)
I would indeed suspect that ncReset is overzealous and corrupt something on a different board than the one it was called for. But I don't use the channel API.

From what I guess from the content of nicanErr.txt, the last function mentionned is ncReset on CAN3 and I see a ncWaitForState on CAN1 at about the same time. That could account for it but I cannot prevent it since they are called by different threads that must run simultaneously.

Unfortunately, the occurence of the error is too rare to be monitored efficiently and I have not been able to create a test case to study it. I hope nicanErr.txt can yield some more clue to help me.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(7,306 Views)
Hi fmarchal,

this looks more like there is something going on in the background and whenever it times out the error is generated. The ncReset() might wait on that, that's why it seems to be affected most (your attached file also shows the same error with ncWrite() and ncWait4State() function calls).

What happens, if you remove the ncReset() calls from your application?

-B2k
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,307 Views)
hi all,

i have a similar problem hapenning as well. however, i do not have ncReset calls. any clues? i have also reported this error. The error message states:
Error 0xbff62002 (CanErrDriver); An internal error occurred in the NI-CAN driver. A description is located in the file NicanErr.txt in your Windows folder. Solutions: Email or fax the NicanErr.txt file to National Instruments for technical support.
The Nicanerr.txt file is attached.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,253 Views)
Hi svp,

your NicanErr.tx log file indicates that you use NI-CAN version 2.1.1. Do you still get that error when you upgrade to the current version 2.2?
You can find it here:
http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/C98C33F3DB0459BE86256EBD004B6ED0?opendocument&node=132060_US

-B2k
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,244 Views)
Thanks, b2k.

I am downloading 2.2 as i write this. maybe the error will go away - not sure. I saw the release notes and did not notice any bug fixes reported.

fingers crossed...

svp
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,238 Views)
We also have the problem that we get the Error -1074388990 (Hex 0xBFF62002). We use a PXI-System and a DeviceNet Card (PXI-8461), LabVIEW 8.5, NI-DNET 1.6.1 and NI-CAN 2.5.2.

The problem occurs in the first VI trying to establish a connection to the CAN Device. We tried all the recommended things like installing the newest NI-CAN version (both on the Windows computer and the PXI-System) or changing the slot of the PXI-Card.

Has anybody a solution?
Thanks for help, dave
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,481 Views)

This is not the way you should work on this forum. You posted the same problem to four different threads. Don't do that. Instead you should open your own thread and deliver as much information as possible.

The 0xBFF62002 error is internal and there is not that much you can do. Whenever this error occures a nicanerr.txt file is generated to the following location:

\\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-CAN\bin

Attache this file to your own thread and if possible add ashort example showing this error, so we can reproduce it here.

If you work that way, i am pretty sure we can help.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,473 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,858 Views)