From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNet Remote Ports Accessed Locally

Solved!
Go to solution

Maybe I'm getting my NI technologies mixed up, but was there a way to access a remote XNet port as if the port was connected locally?  Allowing a developer to make sessions on this remote port using the normal functions?  For instance if you launch the Bus Monitor it will ask about local or remote port.  From there you can enter an IP address, and port, then talk to.  Is there a way to do this in LabVIEW?

I wrote an application that works well locally with USB XNet hardware.  But I also have XNet devices on remote targets and using them would be nice.  The code that runs in Windows could run on that remote target but with major work to support it.  If I could just talk to that hardware as if it were locally connected I could make it work with little effort.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,935 Views)

Hi Hooovahh, 

Did you ever figure this one out? I have the exact same requirement, I have a remote RT target running VeriStand and would like to open a session to an automotive ethernet interface on the remote target without having to deploy a LabVIEW project to the target, which would cause the VeriStand engine to be stopped. I agree this is possible since the bus monitor allows us to open a session to a remote CAN port via the IP.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,754 Views)

Nope sorry.  It seems NI has greatly reduced the amount of monitoring on the forums for questions and I never heard back.  I never finished with my solution, but it really was just to double my efforts for a remotely running application, or local one.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,748 Views)

@jdkdev  已写:

Hi Hooovahh, 

Did you ever figure this one out? I have the exact same requirement, I have a remote RT target running VeriStand and would like to open a session to an automotive ethernet interface on the remote target without having to deploy a LabVIEW project to the target, which would cause the VeriStand engine to be stopped. I agree this is possible since the bus monitor allows us to open a session to a remote CAN port via the IP.

Hi there, you can monitor the traffic on the Linux RT target using Wireshark. Please refer to Monitoring NI-XNET Automotive Ethernet Traffic Using Wireshark.

Senior Technical Support Engineer | CLD CTA | NI

DISCLAIMER: The attached Code is provided As Is. It has not been tested or validated as a product, for use in a deployed application or system, or for use in hazardous environments. You assume all risks for use of the Code and use of the Code is subject to the Sample Code License Terms which can be found at: http://ni.com/samplecodelicense

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,740 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Hooovahh

@Hooovahh  已写:

Maybe I'm getting my NI technologies mixed up, but was there a way to access a remote XNet port as if the port was connected locally?  Allowing a developer to make sessions on this remote port using the normal functions?  For instance if you launch the Bus Monitor it will ask about local or remote port.  From there you can enter an IP address, and port, then talk to.  Is there a way to do this in LabVIEW?

I wrote an application that works well locally with USB XNet hardware.  But I also have XNet devices on remote targets and using them would be nice.  The code that runs in Windows could run on that remote target but with major work to support it.  If I could just talk to that hardware as if it were locally connected I could make it work with little effort.

Hi Hooovahh,

NI-XNET Bus Monitor for RT is an application working as a TCP client communicating with a startup TCP Server on the RT target (on 64-bit Linux, it is at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnixnetbmrt.so)

Similarly for the XNET RT Remote Capture in the Wireshark, the startup service on the Linux RT target is at /usr/bin/extcap_xnet_plugin

There are not much details I can find on the detailed implementation. If you want to know more beyond this, kind please raise a ticket via ni.com/ask.

DISCLAIMER: The attached Code is provided As Is. It has not been tested or validated as a product, for use in a deployed application or system, or for use in hazardous environments. You assume all risks for use of the Code and use of the Code is subject to the Sample Code License Terms which can be found at: http://ni.com/samplecodelicense

Message 5 of 7
(1,737 Views)

Hi Zy_Ong,

Do you have any idea on how to open a session to a remote port using this feature, much like the bus monitor does?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,728 Views)

@jdkdev  已写:

Hi Zy_Ong,

Do you have any idea on how to open a session to a remote port using this feature, much like the bus monitor does?

You cannot open a regular XNET session to access an interface on a remote target.

As I have mentioned in the comment#5, Bus Monitor and XNET RT Remote Capture are TCP clients that communicate with the services on the remote target.

If you want a Bus Monitor-like feature for Automotive Ethernet, you can Monitoring NI-XNET Automotive Ethernet Traffic Using Wireshark.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,709 Views)