Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET Support for CAN-FD and PDUs

Solved!
Go to solution

Thanks to the Community I am happily reading CAN FD + BRS into my LabVIEW program.

The next stage is to decode the Frames. I have an arxml file which I am told is the modern-day equivalent of the dbc file. When I open it with the CAN dbc viewer I see the cluster, frames, ecu’s plus transmit and receive frames. What I cannot see is the signals in each of the frames.

When I use AUTOSAR Network Explorer I can see that the frames consist of one or more PDU’s and that the signals are in the PDU’s

I have looked at a lot of the XNET examples and the only references to PDU are in the FlexRay examples. I have also checked Hoovah’s CAN blog.

So how can I proceed ?

Is the next release of NI XNET likely to support PDU decodes ?

Or must I manually extract PDU’s from Frames ?

Once I have the PDU's, can I somehow use XNET to extract the signals from each PDU ?

And if so how do I read the signal decode info from the arxml file ?

As this appears to be the way that Automotive CAN is progressing what support is available ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,681 Views)

See my answer on the other related thread here.

Unfortunately our options are limited at the moment. The XNET database API does not currently provide any information about PDUs that aren't supported so we aren't able to manually extract the data to decode a frame. You could theoretically parse the ARXML file manually to extract the data and then decode a frame but that is obviously a ton of work and requires in-depth knowledge or AUTOSAR. 

At this time I am unable to comment on what AUTOSAR improvements are coming down the line and/or when they will be released.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,666 Views)

Ok, so it sounds like I am going to have to parse the arxml file to locate all the PDU's and their signals. I am thinking if I create a new pseudo-frame in the database for each PDU and add the signals.

That way when I read a raw frame I can extract the PDU's and use XNET to decode the signals for me

It sounds a lot easier than it will be I am sure, but how does that sound as a way forward ?

Kind regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,641 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RASedden

I should stress how much effort is involved with parsing your own ARXML manually to try and pull out this information. 

The easiest option we have today for a one-off application would be using another AUTOSAR viewer in parallel with the database editor to manually copy the portions of the database that matter. 

Ignoring effort, the proposal you suggest sounds like the technically correct path forward. Pull the frame and signal data out of the ARXML manually and then apply the signal information to a raw frame.

Jeff L
National Instruments
Message 4 of 6
(3,631 Views)

I hadn't thought of using Autosar Explorer for cut-and-paste. Definitely a brilliant idea !! Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,627 Views)

I am trying just that. Using Autosar Explorer to create a NI Database, but I am having problems as most PDUs are multiplexed and I cant seem to find out how exactly to get them in.   I am sure its something simple like finding the actual multiplexer signal but I am not seeing it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,476 Views)