Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET Read Frame Types Incorrect on Echoed Transmits

Solved!
Go to solution

I added some code to log all CAN frames using a Frame In Stream XNET Session (I set Intf.BusErrToInStrm? and Intf.EchoTx? to True before the session was initialized to log transmitted frames).  My environment is LabVIEW 2015 SP1 with XNET 16.1.  In case the hardware used matters, it is a NI-9860 with the CAN HS/FD transceiver (TRC-8542, I believe).  All communication with the DUT is currently CAN FD + BRS (with custom baud rates set in the database if it matters; this is ISO CAN FD, so CAN 2.0 and CAN FD without BRS traffic could also be present).

CAN reads correctly come in as "CAN FD+BRS Data" (24).  However, echoed transmits report as "CAN Data" (0).  I expect that they should also report as "CAN FD+BRS Data" (24).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,332 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TomOrr0W

This is a known issue and should be fixed in a future release.

Jeff L
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(3,299 Views)

Hello Orrt,

Could you please share your VIs? I am developing some Vis on CAN FD and I am getting only error frames. I could use your Vis to debug mine. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,109 Views)

Hi sivamit,

I am not sure if I can share the VIs, but making a CAN log is fairly simple.  You need to have a Frame Input Stream session running in parallel with the rest of your code - I would recommend starting this session after your existing sessions start to avoid interfering with any interface session properties.  You will also need to set the following session properties before any sessions start (if you set the baud rate via property, that would be a good location):
Interface:Bus Error Frames to Input Stream -> True

Interface:Echo Transmit -> True

Logging Properties.png

If you are OK with using the tdms format with raw frames (it will not be easily human-readable - you will need one of the example vis to read it), there is a built-in example you can use.  In LabVIEW, go to Help -> Find Examples.  You can then navigate (Browsing according to task) to Hardware Input and Output -> CAN -> NI-XNET -> Logging and Replay and open CAN Input Stream to TDMS Logfile.vi and Display TDMS Logfile as CAN Frames.vi.  Note that the Display vi might work unpredictably if you use a value other than -1 for the number of frames to read, as CAN FD frames can vary in size.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,103 Views)