From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET Create Session Alias Error -1074384560

Solved!
Go to solution

I am getting an error stating "NI-NET Alias name passed to a function is not defined.  Solution: Define the alias before calling the function."

I created this program almost 2 years ago and it was running fine.  We are testing automotive ECUs with this software.  Last week, the PC was shutdown incorrectly and some unknown startup occurred.  It cause the PC to lose all of its NI software and some other software. (Weird)  The software I had written- all vis and test sequence was still present.  We eneded up rebuilding the PC. 

Now, when I try to run the software I get this error.  I am unsure where I am supposed to define the alias?!  (I thought it was MAX, but CAN1 and CAN2 are the only options, and I select "CAN2" as the interface... I don't know what could have changed from them to now. 

Any suggestions?!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,088 Views)

I'm guessing that in the refresh of software you updated XNet beyond what was on there originally.  XNet 16 added the restriction that the database alias cannot contain spaces.  Open the Database Editor and see what the database name is, and update it to be valid for the new restrictions, then refer to that new alias in your software.  I'm guessing the problem comes from your "CAN2 Cluster" name.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,070 Views)

Thanks Hooovahh,

I suspected this issue could have something to do with how you state "refresh of software you updated XNet beyond what was on there originally."  I did in fact update to XNET16 originally.  Before posting my original post, I uninstalled XNET 16 and installed XNET 14.  The problem still exists.

The "CAN2 Cluster" does have a space, but should it not open now that I have installed XNET14?  Is there some way that parts on XNET16 remained even though I performed an uninstall?  What would you suggest I try next?!  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,046 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bmaki

Is there some way that parts on XNET16 remained even though I performed an uninstall?  What would you suggest I try next?!  Thanks

I wouldn't phrase it like that, but I think that installing 16, may have automatically changed your database names to not have spaces (since they aren't allowed).  Then uninstalling 16, and reinstalling 14 may have left the modified names (the ones 16 changed).  I can't be sure and again I'd recommend running the Database Editor to get a clear picture on what the database and cluster names are in your system and then either change them to match your software, or change your software to match the database and cluster names.

Message 4 of 6
(4,042 Views)

Thank you.  I opened the database with XNET14.  Saved it with a new name (without spaces).  Renamed the database the software was looking for.  It worked.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,032 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

I'm guessing that in the refresh of software you updated XNet beyond what was on there originally.  XNet 16 added the restriction that the database alias cannot contain spaces.  Open the Database Editor and see what the database name is, and update it to be valid for the new restrictions, then refer to that new alias in your software.  I'm guessing the problem comes from your "CAN2 Cluster" name.

Hi Hoovahh,

You may be interested to know that NI-XNET 17.5 relaxed those alias name restrictions you mentioned, that were added in NI-XNET 16.x. They are still slightly more strict than 15.5, but most old alias names should now work. Restrictions were maintained if they were needed to ensure proper interaction with file systems and LabVIEW Real-Time controllers.

Most 7-bit ASCII characters are now allowed, with a few exceptions.

The following symbols are still prohibited in alias names: "*/:<>?\|.,

The alias documentation in NI-XNET 17.5 has been made more specific, to help eliminate surprise with these rules. The documentation is still missing a few symbols which actually do work. This should be resolved in a future documentation update.

Message 6 of 6
(4,020 Views)