Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET API to determine if device supports CAN FD?

Hello,

I'm trying to determine if a given XNET device channel supports CAN FD or not. There is no interface property though to determine this.

I see _IntfCanIoMode properties for the cluster and session, but nothing I can call for the actual device without first establishing a connection.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get this information about a device?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,066 Views)

@JaremyP wrote:

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get this information about a device?

There is not a direct way to do this.  Just like there is not a direct way to know what baud rate a device supports, or if a device is even CAN, other than to attempt to talk to it, and see what it responds with.  If you open a CAN FD session and listen to traffic and get nothing, then I'm guessing the device doesn't support the baud rate, or protocol selected.  Of course there are other causes like not having the cable connected, or device on.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,056 Views)

The system API allows you to poll a device for the Protocol property which returns CAN, LIN, or FlexRay.

If the protocol is CAN, there is also an interface property for the transceiver type, High Speed (HS), Low Speed (LS), and Single Wire (SW).

All XNET hardware with a HS transceiver will support CAN FD. Older hardware will have an older transceiver that isn't CiA certified for speeds above 1 MBaud but speeds up to 8 Mb can be used experimentally. Newer hardware revisions use transceivers certified up to 2 MBaud. XNET will provide a warning when a transceiver is used at higher baud rates than it is certified for as of 16.0 or so.

As newly CiA certified transceivers with higher baud rates continue to be released, we will continue to update the hardware.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,042 Views)

Oh I'm so sorry, I mis-read the post and thought you were talking about determining what protocols your DUT device supports.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,039 Views)