From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XCP Custom Device calls to ALLOC_DAQ include all mesasurement tasks

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using VeriStand 2017 with ECUMC 18.0 to communicate via XCP with my ECU and I've added a number of measurement tasks to the XCP Custom Device, some tasks using a "Read/Write Mode" of "Polling" and some using the "DAQ List" option. As I added more of these measurement tasks, I noticed that all the measurement tasks with the "DAQ List" mode selected would stop working. Digging through the XCP debug logs the custom device can generate, I noticed the XCP command "ALLOC_DAQ" would get called with an input equal to the TOTAL number of Measurement tasks I had defined, not just the tasks with the "DAQ List" mode selected. The ECU's code had a configured limit on the number of DAQ lists it was willing to support and I had crossed the line well before I was expecting to.

For example, if I had 3 measurement tasks with "Read/Write" mode set to DAQ and 3 with the mode set to "Polling", the "ALLOC_DAQ" message sent by the XCP Custom Device would "ALLOC_DAQ DAQCnt=6".

Is there a deeper reason all measurement tasks are included in this "ALLOC_DAQ" call? With my basic understanding of XCP, I would have expected only the measurement tasks with the "Read/Write Mode" "DAQ List" would to have space allocated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,853 Views)
Solution
Accepted by DerekTheRockRockson

Hi DerekTheRockRockson,

This is indeed a bug in the software. In your example, only 3 DAQ lists should be allocated. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I filed a bug report and it should be fixed in one of the next versions of ECUMC. 

The bug is that all measurement tasks in the session, whether they are configured as a DAQ list or with polling, are used to request DAQ lists if at least one of them is configured as a DAQ list. Currently, the only way around this is to use only one of them, DAQ lists or polling. I recommend DAQ lists because it requires less traffic to communicate the same information.

Kind Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,828 Views)

Hello Tim,

Thanks for filing that bug report for me. Its good to know that my intuition is correct. And thanks for the fast reply!

-Derek

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,820 Views)

@Tim_Ew wrote:

This is indeed a bug in the software. In your example, only 3 DAQ lists should be allocated. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I filed a bug report and it should be fixed in one of the next versions of ECUMC. 

Hi Tim,

Could you please provide the CAR number?

Thanks!

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,571 Views)

For those interested, this is ECU MC Toolkit CAR 734080.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,501 Views)