Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you use to export CAN network data from AUTOSAR XML files?

Has anybody successfully extracted the CAN network information from an AUTOSAR XML (.arxml) file and exported it to a format NI-XNET understands (i.e. .dbc, FIBEX)?  If so, what tool(s) did you use?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(15,826 Views)

Neither the NI-CAN driver nor the NI-XNET driver currently provides support for using .arxml files. 

The NI-XNET driver supports CANdb (.dbc) for CAN, FIBEX (.xml) for FlexRay, or LIN Description File (.ldf) for LIN.

The NI-CAN driver supports CANdb (.dbc) as well as NI-CAN database files (.ncd).

-Bear
Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(15,795 Views)

Thanks.  I'm hoping somebody can point me to a tool they use to convert from ARXML to DBC (or FIBEX).  So far, the options I've found are either extreamly expensive or are very basic and don't support some of the parameter values in the ARXML file I need to convert.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(15,791 Views)

I was able to use the canmatrix Python program to convert my ARXML file to a DBC.  Out of the box, this program was able to convert about 80% of the information automatically.  The rest was a combination of editing the ARXML to work-around features not supported by canmatrix and manually adjusting things in the output DBC file.

Message 4 of 7
(15,756 Views)

If you are still looking for support for importing .arxml using X-NET, this is now supported in X-NET 17.0.1 (readme)

Ashish Naik
Automotive Business Development Manager
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(14,638 Views)

Hello guys,

I used the NI-XNET database editor from XNET v 17.0.1 to convert from arxml to dbc file and worked. I selected the arxml file and to confirm from Options "use PDUs" to see all the data from arxml file. The arxml file need to respect some condition to be converted into dbc file:

• Only one PDU is mapped to the frame.
  • This PDU is not mapped to other frames.
  • The PDU Start Bit in the frame is 0.
  • The PDU Update Bit is not used.
  • All PDUs are mapped on a frame

For more details you can look at :

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372841M-01/nixnet/nxpropclst_pdusreqd/

When converting from arxml to dbc you will lose all data connected to I-PDU, which is an AUROSAR method of sending group of signal to CAN. The communication will be at signal level. For reaching this it is necessary to delete the PDUs from arxml file which are not conected to any frame. After deleting all this pdus, save the file in FIBEX xml format.

With the this new format in memory of the editor select the CAN cluster you want to export as DBC file, and click write to " export to DBC.."

You have to double check if you do not lose some messages or signals from the original file.

Using this method I got a usable dbc file with all the signal and frames from autosar arxml file.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(13,717 Views)

For your information, the support for AUTOSAR XML Files 3.X and 4.X for CAN and LIN was added to NI-XNET 17.0 (for CAN) and 17.5 (for LIN). Check this out:

1.png

2.png

Regards,

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(13,089 Views)