From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to work, now no CANbus communication

I am using an old VI that has always worked. I am using an older laptop that hasn't had issues like this before. I am using hardware that I believe has worked in the past (I have also tried different pieces of identical hardware). 

I spent the day trying to figure out why I am unable to receive the CANbus communications from the hardware. Even using the built in NI MAX monitor, the computer is not receiving any messages. I have tried using a USB hub, and connecting directly to a computer. I have tried reinstalling the CAN drivers. I have tried swapping out the two USB-8746 (I think, I don't have them with me) devices. Nothing has worked.

I connected an oscilloscope to the device, and can tell that it is sending messages. Additionally, the CANbus messages being sent from the VI to the hardware also show up on the oscilloscope. Everything appears to be working but the computer is not reading the messages. If it is any help, the USB lights on both USB-8746 devices are on and yellow, but the CAN lights remain off.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. 

Take care,

James

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,352 Views)

Umm...do you really have a USB-8746?  Because I have no idea what that is.  If you meant a USB-8476, then I'd say you have a legacy LIN device.  If that is the case then you won't be reading any CAN data. 

If by chance it is a CAN device and it isn't working, get it working in MAX's test panel first.  If it doesn't work there then there is no chance it will work in your software.

Message 2 of 2
(2,330 Views)