From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to capture CAN data using NI-9862 - TCP Error 66

Hi,

I'm using NI-9862 CAN module with cRio 9035. I installed XNET drivers as needed.

Now, I'm trying to read CAN messaged using busMonitor tool that was installed along with XNET drivers (C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-XNET\busMonitor).

When I tried it the first time, the tool discovered the module correctly, but it failed to read the data because the firmware was not up to date. I updated the firmware of the module using MAX. Afterwards, the busMonitor is always failing to discover the module with TCP Error 66 (The network connection was closed by the peer) (attached).

I'm afraid that the module got broken after upgrading the firmware. How can I verify that?

What else can be done to overcome this error?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,087 Views)

Can you see the module in MAX after re-booting the cRIO? Does the module pass a self test?

Since the error is a TCP/IP error, there could be some issues with the ethernet connection to the cRIO or could be something with the bus monitor executable. I don't believe it suggests a problem with the c-Series module yet.

If you can see it in MAX, can you run the CAN Frame Input Stream example on the cRIO? This example performs the same functionality as the bus monitor without extra overhead.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,072 Views)

Hi,

The module was visible before upgrading its firmware. But now, it's no longer visible in MAX. What should be done now? Is there a way to downgrade?

Thanks

Mohammed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,066 Views)

Does the cRIO itself seem to be working properly? Are you able to compile and run an application on the FPGA or RT Host without any XNET involved?

Have you tried formatting and re-installing RIO XNET etc? 

The module not showing up leads me to belive the FPGA on the cRIO isn't starting up like we expect. I'm not sure we have narrowed the issue down to say if there is a problem with the module just yet.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,060 Views)

Hi,

Yes, the cRio is working properly with other modules. The issue is just in using the NI-9862 module.

Should I format the cRio now?

Thanks

Mohammed

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,053 Views)

I would try formatting the cRIO since it doesn't take very long and ensures we are working with a clean slate.

The 986x modules are unique amongst all other modules in the way they work under the hood. By default, the cRIO-903x family of devices includes support for XNET devices in the scan engine which allows the devices to be seen by MAX. This functionality is not included by default in FPGA mode and is only compiled into the FPGA when a 906x module is in a project in hybrid mode. Formatting the target and checking MAX puts the device into a known state that should allow the device to show up in MAX.

You may also try putting the C-Series module in a different slot to rule out slot specific hardware issues.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,051 Views)

Hi,

I tried formatting the cRio. But that did not help. Nothing changed, I'm still getting the same error!

Any other ideas? 

Thanks

Mohammed

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,027 Views)

The 986x modules are designed in such a way that if a firmware update should fail, the module will revert to the previous firmware. We have tested this functionality but something unknown could have gone wrong. 

If XNET is installed on a freshly formatted cRIO and the module doesn't show up in MAX in any of the slots the module may be bad. If this is the case, at this point I would suggest calling the support number and initiating an RMA.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,022 Views)