Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Automotive Diagnostics and Normal CAN Messages simultaneously

Hi,

This is my first post here so please excuse me if I ask anything silly. I've trawled through the forums and documentation, but, can't find a solution to my issue. 

I am writing Diagnostic application to perform quality testing of Automotive CAN ECUs. Most of the data I need can be accessed via Diagnostic reads and controls (Automotive Diagnostic Command Set). My problem is that some of our module require some additional standard CAN messages to be sent and recieved. I have managed to send messages O.K. (Basically, I dug down into the I/O Control VI and extracted the VI which writes the actual CAN message).

My problem is that I cannot seem to read any CAN message data. 

are there any preferred techniques for doing so?

- Close Diag handle => Open NICAN Handle => Read CAN Data => Re-Open Diag Handle?

- Use a specific VI from the Automotive Diagnostic Command Set?

- Read some queue which has the data already?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Rory

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,577 Views)

Hi there,

It would help if you could provide a screenshot of the code you've attempted so far which is running into issues?

Additionally, just in case it was overlooked - LabVIEW does have a number of CAN related demo's built in - if you search for NI-CAN in the example finder, it should hopefully come up with a list of relevant files.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,560 Views)