Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI CAN additional information needed

Hi,

I need few information regarding PCI-CAN...

1-Is CAN protocol a full duplex communication??

2-I need to communicate with 4 PC's.. using PCI-CAN with full duplex.. is this possible? if so how can i do it??

3-the condition would be where 1 PC acts as master and must be able to transmit msg to remaining 3 PC's.. which   are acting as slaves.. and when slaves transmit message it should be recieved only by master and must be rejected by other slave PC's.. how can i do this???

Thanks & Regards,

Harish Chincholi,

Project Trainee.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,775 Views)

Hello Harish,

1-Is CAN protocol a full duplex communication??

CAN is not a full duplex protocol.  You can only send one thing on the bus at any point in time, in contrast to SPI for example, where there are two seperate lines for send and receive.

2-I need to communicate with 4 PC's.. using PCI-CAN with full duplex.. is this possible? if so how can i do it??

Not in full duplex.  You cannot send and receive at the same time.  You can only put messages on the bus or read them from the bus. Not both at the same time.

3-the condition would be where 1 PC acts as master and must be able to transmit msg to remaining 3 PC's.. which   are acting as slaves.. and when slaves transmit message it should be recieved only by master and must be rejected by other slave PC's.. how can i do this???

One way you could do this with CAN is that you would assign specific arbitration IDs to each PCs.  That way, each PC would only read their own arbitration IDs and respond using that same ID so the master can know which PC is answering.  This would require a single CAN port and all the PCs connected to the same network.  

Another way you could do this is by using three CAN ports and connecting each PC to the it's seperate CAN port.  This kind of takes away from using CAN though, since you could use a serial port instead.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.  Have a great day.

O. Proulx
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
Message 2 of 7
(7,744 Views)
Hello,

Hope the earlier message answered your questions. If you have any other queries, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,724 Views)

Hi,,

can you give some example program on same topic,,

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,565 Views)

Hello,

There are several example that come with the NI-CAN driver.  To view the examples in LabVIEW, go to help -> Find Examples.  Then go to Hardware I/O -> CAN.  There are examples for read and writes.  I would suggest starting from the CAN Transmit - Event Based.vi and CAN Receive.vi for the frame API.   You can also look at the single sample event output.vi and single sample input.vi for the channel API.

Have a great week.

O. Proulx
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,555 Views)

how to give arbitration ID to each node of CAN?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,399 Views)

This discussion is "very" old and I suggest you to start a new one.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,386 Views)