From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-USB CAN 8472s stand alone

Solved!
Go to solution

I have  the 8472s for a while and have not got to the point that I can make it works by itself. Is that any way to config the CAN 8472s without connecting any Clock and trigger signals to the module ?

If you can, please give me an example VI ?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,298 Views)

Intania,

A great place to start with CAN programming is in the LabVIEW Example Finder.  In LabVIEW, click Help » Find Examples...  Search for "CAN" in the search tab to pull up the CAN examples.  CAN Basic.lvproj is always a good place to start, but some of the other examples might be helpful to you as well.  Try to get that working, then build your code around that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,290 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I would be really appreciate if you can tell me whether or not the 8472s works without physically connect any wire to the sync / clk terminals.

It seems to me that I need to somehow use the RTSI signal from a DAQ which I do not have at the momment.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,288 Views)

there is no need to use the Sync lines of your 8472s in order to get it running. Those lines are need only to sync the device with e.g. DAQmx device.

The 8472s is a Low Speed Device, are your device under test Low Speed nodes? What kind of problems are you facing with?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,283 Views)

It should be a simple task; however, I could not make it works.

I have NI USB-8473 and 8472s, just simply connect them back to back (using cable and terminating resistors on both end). Then , I ran the CAN-transmit and CAN-receive VIs downloaded from the NI example and the rate is 125 Ks. Even I set it to 83.33 K, it does not work.

Using the same set up, if i use 8473 on both end, they work fine. 

What is my problem?  Also I ran the self test for the 8472 and it passed.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,277 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Intania 72

HS can and LS can use different physical layers that are not compatible. They do not refer just to the speeds that they can communicate. You would use the 8473 to talk to an HS CAN network and the 8472 to talk to an LS CAN network. You cannot mix HS and LS nodes in a single network.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,274 Views)

Thank you. That is the part I did not aware of. Now I saw the article about the differences of the physical layer in  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/84210794086E9C0886256C1C006BE6AE .

So many times that I call NI and they thold me that they are compatible in the same network.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,271 Views)

I am sorry if you were given misinformation. That is not right. But, at least now you do have the correct information and can move forward. Thank you for your patience.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,269 Views)