From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB 8476s bus monitoring

Can I monitor the bus when using the NI USB 8476s? I can't find the "Bus Monitor" option in the Measurement & Automation Explorer...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,696 Views)

Do you have NI-CAN installed?  Does the device get recognized in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,674 Views)

Yes, I have the NI-CAN version 15.0, and the USB-8476s is listed in the Measurement & Automation Explirer in: Devices and Interfaces>NI-CAN Devices. But when I right-click on the device no options appear.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,664 Views)

You need to click on the individual port in the tree:

BusMonitor.PNG

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,652 Views)

Thank you very much for your answer Jeff. I could start the bus monitor but it raised the following errors when I run an application that uses these LIN ports

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,648 Views)

Those errors are expected when the LIN port is already in use by your application. 

If you need bus monitor functionality in parallel to your application, you can integrate it into your application. Take a look at the LIN Bus Monitor.vi shipping example to see how you might read everything on the bus while your application is running.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,621 Views)

Thank you Jeff for your reply and sorry for the delayed answer. I need to monitor the bus activity to debug my aplication (made with visual studio), so, integrate it in my application is not an option. I would like to know if it is possible to monitor the bus using another NI USB-8476s connected in parallel.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,413 Views)

Two USB-8476 devices plugged into a computer will be completely independent of each other. One can run your application and the other can act as a bus monitor or slave.

Jeff L
National Instruments
Message 8 of 10
(4,408 Views)

I tried to monitor the bus with another LIN USB8476s and no activity was registered with the Bus Monitor. The Baud Rate is the same for all devices (19200) and the connections are as shown in the attached image...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,380 Views)

You should be able to monitor the bus with the 2nd bus monitor in parallel. Do we know there was activity on the bus, i.e. an application was running and data was being transferred with the DUT?

Have you tried to run the shipping example titled LIN Bus Monitor.vi on the second USB-8476 instead of the bus monitor integrated in MAX? It could provide you with additional error information to help figure out why you don't see any activity.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,363 Views)