Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low(er) cost XNet USB Hardware

WOOT WOOT.  Finally NI appears to have a USB CAN solution, like all other competitors, for somewhat cheap, which uses XNet.  Wish I would have seen this a few months sooner since my boss just bought 12 of those cheap USB 8473.  Working with XNet is so much nicer than NI-CAN but I couldn't justify doubling the price for it.

The only other USB XNet solution was to pair a single slot USB cDAQ, with a single port XNet card which was over $1,000 for a single port.  I wouldn't necessarily call it cheap but at $750 for two high speed ports, it is a lot better.

Additionally some new hardware I did see was there is a new C series module that can have two CAN or LIN ports.  So if you need two CAN, or two LIN, or one of each.  Hopefully this means one day we could pop on a single wire CAN transceiver too.  This same design is applied to a PXI card that can have up to 6 CAN or LIN or a mix of each in a single PXIe slot.

So this post is just to let others know that might not have seen the new NI XNet hardware options.

Message 1 of 7
(3,977 Views)

Hey Hooovahh,

Good to see thrilled customers 🙂 This will hopefully fill a gap that we had and alleviate much of the pain to work with NI-CAN because of the lower price.

--Eric

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,943 Views)

Hi Hooovahh , I am so glad to find someone have experience of using USB-9862.

Would you please give me some guidance?

Can I directly plug it to my PC? or Do I need to plug it to cDAQ?

It seems that usb-9862 is different from usb-8562

In my opinion, I think that usb 8562 is for PC,and 9862 is for cDAQ

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,477 Views)

No where in my post did I mention using or having any experience with the USB-9862.  We haven't purchased one yet but for other projects we may.  If your hardware supports the NI-XNet drivers, and is listed as a compatible device I'd expect it to work.  I know XNet can be installed on several cDAQ hardware, but that doesn't mean it is compatible.  I know of some USB DAQ devices that don't function on Linux RT even though DAQmx drivers are installed, which is a known compatibility.  Read the manuals for all of your hardware to know if there is a compatibility issue.  And furthermore what is a USB 8562?  I searched and nothing came up.  Please link to the hardware you are talking about like I did to help understand what you are talking about.  Also you may want to create your own new thread where you ask a new question.  This post is about low(er) cost hardware and may not be related to what you are asking.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,467 Views)

The USB-9862 is a package deal that combines a USB cDAQ-9171 and a NI-9862 C-Series module into a single part number for easy ordering. They are two individual components so the 9862 will have to be inserted into the cDAQ-9171 chassis. The chassis will then plug directly into your computer.

The cDAQ-9171 is only a single slot chassis but it works just like any other cDAQ chassis and can be used with other C-Series modules as well.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,455 Views)

Thank you for your answer!

I searched "9862" in this forum, and saw some of you previous statements, and there may be some disorder in my mind so I thought that you may have one.

And again,thanks for you answer! It help me alot!

(I am not a native English speaker, forgive me for some of my awkward English, holp that wouldn't confuse you)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,444 Views)

Thanks a lot Jeff !Heart

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,441 Views)