From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging CAN messages to a TDMS and view in DiaDem

Hi all

Bit stuck here with trying to get labview to record CAN messages into a TDMS (along with other signals like thermocouples and pressures).

Got a NI 9862 single channel CAN module for cDAQ. 

I think, I think, I have got to the stage where it is saving CAN messages to a TDMS. But opening in Diadem shows either nothing, or a single channel/group. Whatever it is it doesn't look right and I can't decipher it.

I guess firstly, can I even do what I want to be doing? That is log CAN messages (I have complete vehicle DBC file) along with temperature and pressure readings, all time aligned nicely?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,891 Views)

Hi ALexMason,

the TDMS file format can host both signal-based data and protocol-based data. 

While the former can be loaded by the TDMS dataplugin , the latter needs a conversion to signal-based data (which generates a TDM file). This is your case.

In DIAdem you can perform this conversion by using the Bug Log Converter (File-> Bus Log Converter). See first screenshot.

All you need to do is to choose the format of the log (in your case TDMS), the log file itself and the CAN database describing the frame/signals designed for the CAN cluster and at the end perform the conversion with the desired actions.

You also can define a loading configuration for can data in the DIAdem general settings for Navigator allowing the automatic loading of bus log channel together with signal-based ones (second screenshot).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,873 Views)

bus log converter is greyed out for me Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,869 Views)

we only have the base version, so it won't work!

best get on with asking for an upgrade!

thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,860 Views)