Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIN Bus Diagnostics Basics

Hi,

I'm using LIN bus to talk to hardware. With single point frames I can communicate successfully using a single NI 9866.

I now need to use diagnostic frames so according to the help files, single point frames are no longer an opttion.

When I review the LabVIEW examples 'LIN Diagnostic Frames Master' and 'LIN Diagnostic Frames Slave' I notice that these two VIs each use a different interface i.e. Master uses LIN1 and Slave uses LIN2.

Is this a fundamental requirement?  Or can I use just LIN1 to handle both the Master and Slave frames?

(delivery times for a second NI 9866 are long at the moment, so I really hope that just one interface can be used!)

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,497 Views)

You must have at least two interfaces for a communication to work, and you can use your hardware as one of the modes.

Thus you can use one port from NI 9866 as LIN Diagnostic Master and your hardware as LIN diagnostic slave.

However if your hardware does not support LIN diagnostic communication, then you have to wait for another NI 9866, or get another LIN hardware that supports it.

Senior Technical Support Engineer | CLD CTA | NI

DISCLAIMER: The attached Code is provided As Is. It has not been tested or validated as a product, for use in a deployed application or system, or for use in hazardous environments. You assume all risks for use of the Code and use of the Code is subject to the Sample Code License Terms which can be found at: http://ni.com/samplecodelicense

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,472 Views)

Thank you ZY_Ong

So in the LabVIEW examples (LIN Diagnostic Frames Slave), where the slave interface is 'LIN2' what would this be set to?

My hardware (a motor) doesn't show up in MAX, so I can't give it an alias.

I assume this therefore needs to configured in the LDF - is that right?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,458 Views)

Your hardware does not have any NI driver associated with it. It will not show up in MAX and you don't need it to be detected in MAX. It should have been programmed in such a way that it will response to LIN communication, just like how you can communicate with it using single point session.

All you need to do is connect the LIN port of NI 9866 to motor, then run LIN Diagnostic Frames Master, using the LDF file provided by the motor manufacturer (or the LDF file created by yourself using the spec sheet provided by manufacturer which defines the signals in the diagnostic frame). If the motor supports LIN diagnostic, it will response to the diagnostic request sent by NI 9866.

Senior Technical Support Engineer | CLD CTA | NI

DISCLAIMER: The attached Code is provided As Is. It has not been tested or validated as a product, for use in a deployed application or system, or for use in hazardous environments. You assume all risks for use of the Code and use of the Code is subject to the Sample Code License Terms which can be found at: http://ni.com/samplecodelicense

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,451 Views)