From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J1939 message solution on XNET

Hi all

I need a help for using XNET to send J1939 protocol message to Device

The NI device I used is PXI-8512 and the destination devie is a electric motor car.

I have found some information for XNET with J1939 and download "J1939 NI-XNET Frame Example.vi"

But the example do not feed back any message when I connect PXI-8512 and electric motor car last time.

I want to double check some detail with you;

1. I do not see the CAN database request in the "J1939 NI-XNET Frame Example.vi", do I need to build a database first and creat a connection on "Frame in Stream.vi" and "Frame out Stream.vi" ?

2. If I need to build a CAN database first and connection with the vi I mention, why we still need to input "Identified" in the data to send column in the example?

3.. what should I keyin in the "current device address" in this example? Could you please give me some example?

Thanks for all your answer and help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,300 Views)

It has been a number of years since I worked with any of this so forgive me if I get some details wrong.

Troubleshooting a CAN issue usually starts with the following:

Make sure everything is hooked up and turned on. Then I believe that you can open Measurement and Automation EXplorer (MAX) and monitor the CAN bus from there. If you see traffic, it is not a hardware problem. If you do not, see traffic, it may be a hardware issue or perhaps a driver issue. MAX can help you determine which it is.

Assuming that you can seen bus traffic with MAX, the next step would be to try to figure out where in the code the problem lies. For me, especially with example code, it is usually something that I forgot to configure or something that I configured wrong. I know that there is an XNet tool for configuring aliases and there may be more things configured. Try there.

Again, I am sorry that it has been a while but I think the place to start is with MAX.

Good Luck and I hope that this helped,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,285 Views)

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply first.

I want to ask that is NI MAX can communicate with DUT in J1939 SPEC without any specific setting?

I have done some CAN community case before, but the fist time to encounter J1939 project.

Does NI MAX CAN communication monitor also can check J1939 formate connection with Car like normal?

Another question is, like the issue I mention on top, there are some columns in the J1939 for NI-XNET example I do not know how to input the value.

Hoping there is any person who had used the example and share some idea for me.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,257 Views)

Did you ever get this figured out?

The bus monitor that ships with XNET has some built in J1939 parsing functionality. Beyond that, there's a free J1939 toolkit here that you can use to do some testing once you're sure that everything on the physical layer is setup properly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,427 Views)

This is a few years old, but another solution is the one provided by NI.  Not sure how these compare to the DMC ones.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,424 Views)

Definitely, the NI drivers are an option as well.

The main difference is that the DMC drivers provide application layer support (J1939-73) for doing things like reading and writing to parts of an ECU's memory, requesting active and inactive trouble codes, etc. From what I remember, the NI example only provides support for the data link layer (J1939-21). More technical info on what the DMC drivers provide can be found here.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,421 Views)