Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an examples for PXI-8464/2 Series 2. I want to loop-back on channels.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I have several PXI-8464/2 Series 2 cards. I'm trying to find a working example to follow, but there are no "NI-CAN" examples anywhere.

The only "loop-back" CAN example I find is an Executable for a version later than my version of LabVIEW (I have 2009 SP1). Also, I can't open the executable source to re-construct it (in any version), so it's virtually worthless to most of us.

Can someone please help me put together a simple CAN loop-back test that will work with the PXI-8464? It has 2 ports that I am just trying to loop-back on.

Thank you, Richard V

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,514 Views)

This might be a silly question but do you have NI-CAN installed?  What version?  What version of LabVIEW?  Did you install NI-CAN after installing LabVIEW?

You can find NI-CAN 17.0 here which is good for LabVIEW 2014 though 2017.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-can-17.0/6644/en/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,504 Views)

Hello Hooovahh, I'm using LabVIEW 2009 SP1. However, I have access to LabVIEW 2014. If someone has an example, I can recreate it in 2009.

I didn't build this setup, but I was told that it used to work once before. Something went wrong and I am trying to debug this problem. Someone had placed 5 termination resistors (120 ohms) tied to the CAN ports, reducing the termination to 24.8 ohms. I don't know if the board was damaged. 

It also looks like the person that created the VIs didn't know what they were doing (no use of the CAN Init function, improper passing of handle IDs, etc.).

I'm trying to find a working example to check it against. 

Thank you, Richard V

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,490 Views)

NI-CAN 2.7.4 is most recent version that supports LabVIEW 2009.

You can check to see if NI-CAN is installed by looking at the "Software" tree item in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).

While I don't see a dedicated loop back example, we do have examples that can be paired to produce a similar result. 

Open the example finder via the help menu. Then find the NI-CAN examples located in Hardware Input and Output -> CAN -> NI-CAN -> Frame API -> Basic folder.

Then we should be able to pair an output example such as CAN Transmit - periodic.vi with an input example such as CAN Receive.vi as long as each example is running on a different interface. I.e. output on CAN0 and Input on CAN1.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,487 Views)

@RichardRV wrote:

Someone had placed 5 termination resistors (120 ohms) tied to the CAN ports, reducing the termination to 24.8 ohms. I don't know if the board was damaged. 

I've never seen CAN hardware get damaged by having too little resistance.  It just wouldn't work until resistance became normal.

@RichardRV wrote:

no use of the CAN Init function

Uh....you sure it once worked?  Are you using the latest version of the source code from the project?  Cause that is pretty critical to it working.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,481 Views)

Hello Jeff. Thank you for the advice. I just looked. Yes, NI-CAN 2.7.2 is installed.

I find it hard to believe that NI makes a card (PXI-8464/2 Series 2) with no software examples for it. The point of working examples is to avoid all of the guessing (inputs) and start from a KNOWN good point. You're asking me to "guess" at those inputs, which I've already done and failed. This is why I'm asking for help here.

I'm still hoping someone who can actually answer my request is out there. There is an CAN loopback example, but it's an "executable". It would be the "perfect" example if we could see the code in it because it's useless as it is. Here it is: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AAB9C1592AA4D5B886257483007CFF19

Can anyone find the source code behind this? Even just an image would be good enough.

Thank you, Richard V

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,479 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RichardRV

Please don't misunderstand Jeff.  There are TONS of examples installed with NI-CAN.  If you launch LabVIEW and go to Help >> Find Examples and search NI-CAN, or look through code modules installed, you'll find a bunch.  I think Jeff was saying there is no loopback example.  The example I usually start from is the Transmit Receive Same Port which I talk about and show in Part 3 of my CAN blog.  If these examples aren't there, then I'm guessing you installed NI-CAN before LabVIEW, at which point the examples and API won't likely be there.  Look on your palette in LabVIEW.  Is there an NI-CAN section?  Also without examples I still don't think you need to guess at what the inputs do, unless you also don't have the help installed with NI-CAN.  With the context help window open you should be able to hover over a subVI and get descriptions on the inputs and outputs, with a button for Detailed Help too.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,474 Views)