Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build with 64-bit NI-CAN 2.7.2?

I have an application that using the latest NI-CAN that I want to compile for 64-bit Windows. The NI-CAN page says that it supports x64 systems, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

NI-CAN installs to the x86 program files folder. When I look in \program files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-CAN\MS Visual C as well, I only see a single .lib file. Is this a 32-bit only library or would I this file to link for building both 32 and 64-bit applications?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(8,248 Views)

JaremyP,

You are correct that NI-CAN supports x64 operating systems, as it says in the readme.  Unfortunately, this does not also mean that the libraries are x64; it only means that they will install and run properly on an x64 system.  The libraries themselves are only 32 bit, which is why they install in x86.  Also, if not all of the libraries in your code are 64 bit, as is the case here, then you are restricted to building applications targeted to x86.  You should still be able to run these programs on 64 bit systems.

There is currently no clear timeline on if or when this additional functionality will be added to the NI-CAN driver, and I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Best,

Jen W

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(8,240 Views)

Is there any news when the CAN library for CVI will be available in 64 bit?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(6,584 Views)

Wolfgang,

I was able to get into contact with one of our product support engineers for CAN who works very closely with the developers.  He told me that we do not typically disclose future plans for our products but at this time, NI-XNET is the recommended solution for 64 bit CVI support.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 4 of 16
(6,557 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply!

Do I understand it correctly that this means that there will be no 64 bit NI-CAN library and I will have to rewrite my code to use the XNET library instead if I want to have a native 64 bit application?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(6,555 Views)

I feel your pain, but XNet is far superior to NI-CAN and you've had almost 6 years to adopt it.  And NI-CAN hasn't seen a new release in over a year and a half.  I wouldn't be surprised if NI-CAN dosn't get any more significant updates.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(6,551 Views)

@Wolfgang wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply!

Do I understand it correctly that this means that there will be no 64 bit NI-CAN library and I will have to rewrite my code to use the XNET library instead if I want to have a native 64 bit application?

To be honest I don't know.  I could certainly make an educated guess but the people who know the answer / make these decisions gave me the answer above when I asked them the same question.

As stated above though we always recommend upgrading code to use the NI-XNET driver.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(6,540 Views)

Thank you!

I am wondering if the new driver will support the old PCI-CAN board (from 2000 or so), it's a High Speed version but of Series 1, I couldn't find it in the list of supported devices, article number is 184726E-01 and it's serial number is D40EC1.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(6,507 Views)

I don't want to speark for NI, but as far as I know, no the series 1 CAN cards do not support XNet.  I guess that is a good reason to not have gone to the new API.

Message 9 of 16
(6,501 Views)

Thank you... (although it is bad news)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(6,499 Views)