Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with j1939 example on cRIO 9853

Hi,

I am trying to use the j1939 Example Code to send a j1939 CAN message to an automotive controller.  I just need to send fixed messages (i.e. the same data everytime the message transmits).  Is the Example Code the best way to do this, or is there an easier way.  I have message ID's and data and simply want to be able to transmit them to a j1939 network.

I downloaded the j1939 Example Code and am trying to run it on a 9853 module connected to a PXI 7813r FPGA card.  I moved the vi and the sub vi's from dependencies to to a new folder in the project with my targets identified.  When I have done this previously with other modules, I had to fix several broken wires because the FPGA code was not configured for my specific device.  However, on this example I get an error associated with almost every subVI, but can't find any broken wires to fix.  What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,902 Views)

Hi, ACE_Lab,

Can you provide any additional info regarding the errors that you're seeing?  What does the text say regarding these?  Screenshots may be helpful in determining the best course of action here.

I'm also assuming that you're using a NI 9151R expansion chassis to connect these devices.  And as such, I'm wondering if you might be experiencing some clock sharing problems.  This article explains that the 9853 is not supported to share a clock through the backplane of the 9151, and that could be causing this issue, from what I've read so far.

Regards,

-Dave C

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,887 Views)
There is no clock to share with a 9853, so don't worry about that link above.

Any reason you're using a 9853 in a PXI? It will probably be a lot easier if you use a PXI CAN module like the 8513.
Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,865 Views)