Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN extended address

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm communicating with a CAN device using LabVIEW. My project uses a cRIO with the 9853 card, and I'm basing what I'm using on the LabVIEW examples. (Reading the messages in and writing them out through the cRIO FPGA.)

I'm able to read in CAN messages just fine, but I can't seem to get LabVIEW to send the proper message. I AM sending something, but the address is truncated from 0xEF0303 to just 0x303. I can't find how to set the LabVIEW CAN cluster to use extended addressing. Maybe there's a setting I'm overlooking?

So my question: How do I use an extended address in the LabVIEW CAN cluster?

Here's a photo of the CAN cluster, for reference:

CAN cluster.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,320 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kaylah

I am unfamiliar with the details of cRIO CAN hardware, but I assume this is due to needing to set a bit in the ID telling it that it should be sent as an extended message.  OR your ID with 0x20000000

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D652EFA532C0D1AF862574F70071EB4C?OpenDocument

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,306 Views)

That works!

Such a simple fix. Thank you!

Thank you for the link as well, I don't know how I managed to not find that earlier.

Instead of doing an OR I just put the 0x20 in front of the address. (essentially the result of an OR.)

It would be a simpler user interface with an "extended address" boolean in the default cluster, I suppose.

CAN extended addressing.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,298 Views)