From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blinking code 0x24 reported from USB-8473

Hi all,

I use USB-8473 (CAN bus) for monitoring parameters with our product that applied on engine control.

Everything works fine when engine stop, but USB-8473 always reported blinking code 0x24

(2 slow blinks followed by 4 fast blinks) when engine is running.

I cannot find any information about blinking code 0x24 on NI website or NI-CAN manual. 

Can anyone helps? 

Regards,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,860 Views)

2 slow followed by 4 fast doesn't appear to be a valid error code. There are multiple LEDs on the 8473, can you specify exactly which LED is flashing this pattern?

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,832 Views)

The closest fault to this pattern I can find is related to a power failure condition on the CAN bus. If the voltage on the CAN bus drops below a threshold during operation it will cause a fault. Can we monitor the CAN bus Vsup to verify it stays within acceptable limits and/or power the bus independently from the engine?

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,827 Views)

Hi JefeL,

Thanks for your suggestion, I will check CAN bus Vsup.

By the way, the status code 0x24 was reported by "USB" led on USB-8473.

Regards,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,815 Views)

Hi JefeL,

I attached a picture when connection failure occurs. 

Yellow line - CAN bus Vsup in the product side. 

Green line - CAN_LO

Pink line - CAN_HI

IMAG5231-2.jpg

It seems CAN bus Vsup is operate correctly.

Both CAN_LO / CAN_HI present voltage drop.

Can you help us ?

Regards,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,780 Views)

Hi Eric,

I found the error code pdf here:

http://download.ni.com/pub/gdc/tut/nican_errors_en.pdf

(referring to "BFF62024" in the pdf)

it seems that 0x24 means a bad handle was passed to the device. Most likely the source of this error would be when the CAN device is actively running and the host computer is suspended or put to sleep.To recover from this error, you probably need to notify the host that it needs to close and re-open the CAN connection.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,578 Views)